The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Islamic terrorism's useful idiots > Comments

Islamic terrorism's useful idiots : Comments

By Chris Ashton, published 19/1/2015

It should go without saying that not every Muslim is a terrorist or a murderer, but by the same token it apparently needs spelling out that globally there is only one religion in whose name unabated violence is routinely committed.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
SteeleRedux

‘If Boko Haram was described as a North Nigerian separatist movement rather an Islamist terrorist organisation we would surely view it differently. Yet it is held up as evidence that Islam is an inherently violent religion.’

Yes, this is true, as were the other examples you gave. Liberation and separatist struggles are inherently violent with copious acts of terrorism involved, as are any attempts by embattled governments to deal with the crises caused by these struggles. If either side happens to be Muslim, then the violence is more likely to be attributed to Islam, regardless of context.

As for Serb/Kosovo/Bosnia, this was one conflict in which the West took the side of the Muslims against the Christians. For Western political purposes, the need to dismantle Yugoslavia trumped the need to demonise Islam.

‘Regarding the rigorous War Crimes Tribunals I find it hard to believe that those convicted would have been victims of unsubstantiated hype.’

Yes … well. I could write at least twenty OLO posts on that subject alone. There is a great deal I could write about how the Serbs have been unfairly tarred with the genocide brush, and how all that DNA testing business reeks of all kinds of conspiracies and cover ups, but I’ll refrain as it’s getting too far off topic
Posted by Killarney, Wednesday, 21 January 2015 2:45:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
‘morning Poirot,

A fine point indeed. All you have to do now is show the difference in scale between the death and destruction of savagery inflicted by Kony and the deaths by Islamic terrorists since 2001.

Islam is running a tab on about 460,000 deaths over this period, so where is Kony on this scale? Or is there a progressive “weighting factor” that says the deaths by “this” crowd are weighted greater than “this other” crowd?

If you are going to defend the “general Muslim Population”, then first you have to establish a “difference” between general and radical, then you have to show that one is part of Islam and the other not.

I know you have an answer for this and I’m eager to hear it :)

‘morning Killarney,

What is the difference between what you are proposing and the cowardice of capitulation. I was going to suggest surrender but apparently the progressives “white flag” factory is short on stock? :)
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 21 January 2015 2:51:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
spindoc,

"A fine point indeed. All you have to do now is show the difference in scale between the death and destruction of savagery inflicted by Kony and the deaths by Islamic terrorists since 2001."

Okay...do we get to include Christians like this one?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa

I believe quite a few people were killed in that rampage....
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 21 January 2015 3:31:17 PM
No Constance, I'm not Muslim, nor do I subscribe to any of the religious doctrines.

I'm simply a person.
Posted by Craig Minns, Wednesday, 21 January 2015 4:15:47 PM
Luciferase, the Ottoman Empire was just that - an Empire and like all empires there were lots of atrocities carried out in the name of the empire's preferred religious doctrine(s).

The old Holy Roman Empire was a bundle of laughs and the British Empire wasn't a great place to be an avowed "heathen" either.

The Islamic Caliphates were the instigators of enormous cultural advances that arose very soon after Mohammed's era in the same area. The Ottoman Empire arose many centuries later in Turkey and had almost nothing in common with the Caliphates.

If you'd like to improve your knowledge of history, there are several good options, including some great courses offered through Open Universities Australia that have very few prerequisites for entry, so you might well be eligible.
Posted by Craig Minns, Wednesday, 21 January 2015 4:28:27 PM
Craig,

Khan? technology that you use. I think your lying, otherwise you've been brainwashed by leftist gits.
Posted by Constance, Thursday, 22 January 2015 8:38:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All