The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What should Christian worship look like? > Comments

What should Christian worship look like? : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 7/1/2015

The question this essay addresses is whether there is a form of worship that is more faithful to the gospel than any other.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
'Nice' as this article is I feel that it is not going to help the 'great unwashed' to view Christianity as something that they, in their rags, scruffy beards, tattoos, bikie culture, prostitution 'earthiness' may wish to investigate. The nice ABC religious policy appears to encapsulate 'show a 10 second bite of a Christian service at Christmas, Easter of a 'cultured' Roman Catholic, Anglican, or Greek Orthodox service. Modern Pentecostal Christians are so far to the radical left - a bit like radical John the Baptist and the other radical One 'whose sandals who he was not even fit to carry' - [even if they are the fastest growing segment of Christians in Australia] - that to show anything of their services with their Spirit-led worship styles with drums, electric and acoustic guitar, electronic keyboards and 'shock, horror' modern songs of praise and worship is obviously something that must not be broadcast.
I was indoctrinated in the Anglican Church while in a Boys' Home and still can recite and sing the rituals but then these meant absolutely nothing to me or my wretched companions who were thrashed if we dared 'step out of line'.

“Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.” In this instance, both clapping and shouting out joyful worship to God are urged. In 1 Timothy 2:8, we read, “I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.” The emphasis of this verse is the attitude of the heart; however, we see that lifting hands is an appropriate posture for prayer and worship. Having these biblical precedents, we can safely conclude that both of those expressions can be an act of worship.

“The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the LORD and the temple was filled with a cloud” (2 Chronicles 5:13). Worship is a spiritual event, and true worship comes from the heart. If our worship is not heartfelt, it doesn’t matter what posture or expression of worship we use.
Posted by Citizens Initiated Action, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 9:17:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
According to Matthew 6.6 (and other references) prayer is something that should be done in private and the arena-style "happy-clapping" events draw upon the power of the crowd to create a mood.

I personally see the ornate dress and ritual as a distraction at best and no different from the Aztecs or witch doctors - as if "the magic" won't work unless it's done "exactly right" so as not to hurt God's feelings.

Apparently God is in need of constant reassurance for some reason.

It would be better to direct your energies to living a better life than hiding behind window dressing.
Posted by wobbles, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 10:25:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What should Christian worship look like?

Well, how about the kindness of strangers, like those who left their employment and or business occupations, to muck in tirelessly and help those who lost so much or everything, during our most recent and most serious in living memory, floods.

One is not a christian because he or she reads some selected books, or selected passages from said books; or ponds a pulpit; but in the manner with which they live their lives in relation to all others!

But as helpers when needed, not serial pests or busybodies when not!
Simply put, one can't bear witness to something they've never actually seen or done; however pious, but are completely reliant on words on paper, that may be true or not!

Faith may move mountains, but actual evidence is what is needed to foster it!

And increasingly hard to find in a hearsay based document, revised and reedited to the point, where none of the modern day versions bear any resemblance whatsoever, to the oldest known versions; which were written far too many years after the event, to be considered reliable evidence, let alone bear witness!

Let your heart and your conscience be your guide; and live it in your deeds and actions; not what neighbors or strangers/serial pests knocking on the door may think!

The altar of Christian sacrifice is not to be found inside any church wall, but rather in the face of a hungry mum, going without so her kids can eat; or a medic, running into fire, to help a wounded mate; or just someone digging deeply into the purse, to find the bus fare home, for a perfect stranger in need of help; or a disabled man, nonetheless going to the rescue of a kid caught in a rip and swept out to sea!

And not one of them expecting or asking for kudos or thanks, for having done what any other genuine Christian would have surely done; or seen as their Christian duty!?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 11:05:48 AM
wobbles, where does it state in the christian bible that God needs constant reassurance?
According to - http://religion.answers.wikia.com/wiki/How_often_do_Christians_pray

There is no set time, it is up to each christian to make that decision.
However, I do agree on Matthew 6.6 about praying in private and not making a drama about it in the outside world so you can impress others.

An another note, with regards to the OP, and this goes for ANY discussion about anything to do with Christianity, lets not forget about the fact that the dead sea scrolls found in the 1940s are only recently accessible because of the internet today > http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a023.html
There is also, the notion of other "lost books" of the bible > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Books_of_the_Bible_and_the_Forgotten_Books_of_Eden

Unless one has spent a LOT of time studying these ancient texts, no one is really in a position to question any content found in today's translations of the christian bible, at least with any degree of accuracy.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, in fact I expect this dilemma of missing parts would apply to all faiths today which rely on a source book such as like the Christian bible in Christianity.
Posted by Rojama, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 12:16:00 PM
I think Peter is right to say that theological coherence is important in worship, but perhaps a bit too narrow in where that takes him. The silence of a Quaker meeting in an unadorned hall can be as theologically coherent and compelling as a high mass in a cathedral. So, too, the energy and commitment of a Pentecostal service, whose theology takes seriously the idea that the spirit is at work in and through its people (though their style of worship is not to my taste).

The problems with too strong a focus on aesthetics in worship are twofold. Firstly, it can reduce the congregation to passive spectators of a performance by expert clergy and musicians. Liturgy is the “work of the people”, and if ordinary folk are let loose on the readings, prayers and music then the result will often be less than sublime. Secondly, it can become a form of idolatry. The problem with some Anglo-Catholic services is that the clergy are a little too fond of the accoutrements, theatre and fancy dress. Symbols are important, but we seriously miss the point if we mistake the symbol for the thing to which it points.

Rhosty also makes a good point about behaviour and community. It matters how we treat people. “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another”, said Jesus. Not by the songs you sing or the clothes you wear.
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 4:06:46 PM
Rhian,
Noted. It seems to me that it is strange that we feel free to ignore the central command of Jesus to "Do this in memory of me". The Eucharist is instituted in Paul and the synoptic gospels and is central to the believer's relationship to Jesus in John. It is obvious that worship cannot be anything that takes our fancy or makes us feel good.
Posted by Sells, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 4:17:19 PM
Peter

Agreed, but even here I fear we have lost some of the power in the commemorative meal by professionalising it. In the Anglican and Catholic churches, only ordained clergy can conduct a mass. That seems to me a long way from the original commandment. If we are concerned that our theology and liturgy should align – and on this I think we agree – what theological message does that imply?
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 4:27:27 PM
Jesus made it clear to the Samaratin woman that a time had come where God required worship to be of the Spirit and Truth.

'But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such to worship Him. God is a spirit, and they who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth.'

It seems clear to me that the style or personal preference of musical style is quite irrelevant. Wesley would take pub tunes and put Christian lyrics to them. Music itself is not sacred. The new agers feel their earth worshipping music is sacred. It is clean hearts filled with the Holy Spirit and faith towards Jesus Christ that is pleasing to God. The rest is secondary
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 4:37:18 PM
These two references describe the limitations of the kind of exoteric self-serving religiosity that Sells promotes.
http://www.dabase.org/culturally_prescribed.htm
http://global.adidam.org/books/religion-reality/2
Posted by Daffy Duck, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 5:55:17 PM
Runner "music itself is not sacred" I am sure a vast majority of people would be uplifted by music, on your terms "not a God's gift" isn' t everything God's gift, whether music or some man preaching his sermon for the believers, believe in what you personally believe in and leave it at that.
Posted by Ojnab, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 6:10:20 PM
Matthew 6:6 -- Jesus speaking -- "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

So, Peter, all this church stuff would appear to be not merely unnecessary, but actually forbidden by the person you claim to be the founder of your religion. As a good Christian (you, not me), I expect you to drop it forthwith.

But I do like "multiple denominations all with their idiosyncratic styles of worship". What a nice way to say "hundreds of bizarre cults, all doing their best to discredit and occasionally kill each other".
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 6:16:05 PM
" Pope Benedict XVI was eager to emphasise that music and liturgy must be of a certain kind "

And how close is that approved kind of worship to middle eastern wailing, the kind of worship that earned King David the title "Sweet Psalmist of Israel"?
Posted by PaulMurrayCbr, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 7:21:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Father in secret I have requested two million dollars, strange I am still waiting for this reward, must try again.
Posted by Ojnab, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 7:51:27 PM
My favorite Philosopher and Artist had this to say about the performance of Sacred Art:
"True Art is a sacred performance, and act of love. And sacred performance can only occur in a sacred setting, a sacred culture, a sacred society. Ultimately, the artist must associate people with the sacred, must invoke in them that capacity to participate in Reality which is about ego-transcendence, love, Divine Communion.
You should dance. You should sing. You should become ecstatic. You should go beyond yourself. Participate in art. Don't just know it is there.
Art should change you. That is the purpose of it."

By the way he was very eclectic in his appreciation of sacred music. One of his favorite Western Gospel groups was the Swan Silvertones. Why? Because the lead singer would oft-times cross-over into a state of ecstasy during their performances.
He was also very much appreciative of Islamic Qawwali music because of its capacity to draw people into states of individual and collective ecstasy. One noteworthy CD is Shahbaaaz by Nusrat Fatah Ali Kha
Posted by Daffy Duck, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 8:25:19 PM
'Runner "music itself is not sacred" I am sure a vast majority of people would be uplifted by music, on your terms "not a God's gift" isn' t everything God's gift, '

Ojnab

I am sure that you are right that most are uplifted by music. It is a gift that can be used for good or evil depending upon the message being delivered. Singing I'm on the highway to hell while drowning in your vomit is probably one extreme example of being used for evil.

The vehicle or gift is not sacred in itself. It is something that has been created unlike God.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 9:53:27 PM
Sells,

I am not sure whether your sentiments are those of the majority of Christians, but they concur with mine. Some 20 years ago I, a Catholic, wrote:

“I am aware I am in the minority, nevertheless pray that more opportunities be given for us to have Sunday Masses celebrated in the dignified Catholic tradition of our ancestors, when the Eucharist, not the celebrant, was in the centre of attention (not the Tridentine Mass the aesthetic appreciation of which had already been successfully killed in the younger generation). As opposed to the style where the celebrant acts more like a TV evangelist, or even entertainer. A liturgy that often resembles more an Oprah Winfrey Show than a traditional Catholic Mass with its solemn dignity.

The sermons might be to the liking of some and not to others, but this bias should not affect the liturgy. In the past, one priest might have preferred Santamaria, another Calwell, but at the end of the Mass they both said the same 'Benedicat vos omnipotens Deus ... ' and their ideological preferences became immediately irrelevant.”
Posted by George, Thursday, 8 January 2015 1:18:12 AM
The best Christian worship is the imitation of Christ.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Thursday, 8 January 2015 7:45:07 AM
Matthew 18:20

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

But I think a little bit less spectacle and little less celebrity worship would be a generally good thing. Worship should be about reflecting on God, not about having a good-old-knees-up with a few token biblical references thrown in. It should not be a stadium rock affair: easily led people get confused by the loud noise and the bright lights and the excitement of the crowd and start to worship the spectacle instead of the inspiration: they practice idolatry, and that is frowned upon under traditional Christian teachings.

A young, good-looking, charimastic preacher should not be any more highly revered than a short-sighted geriatric who umms and ahhs a lot. Christian worship should be about the message being delivered, not the style in which it is delivered.
Posted by Jonathon Swift, Friday, 9 January 2015 12:39:42 AM
I have for many years been encouraged by this quote. I would be interested to read any comments.

"If worship has not changed us it has not been worship. To stand before the Holy One of Eternity is to change. True worship begins in Holy expectancy, it ends in Holy obedience." - R.J. Foster
Posted by Citizens Initiated Action, Friday, 9 January 2015 9:52:30 AM
If he thinks that's ALL christian worship is then he understand nothing about being a christian.
Posted by Dashton, Tuesday, 13 January 2015 10:01:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy