The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australian multiculturalism now > Comments

Australian multiculturalism now : Comments

By Sev Ozdowski, published 29/12/2014

In the end, the violence committed by Man Haron Monis did not inspire communal hatred, but brought us together.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Aren't you ashamed, Dr. Ozdowski, to live off money stolen by government from ordinary working Australians?

If Australians wanted your advice as to how to manage their cultural relationships between them, then they would have gladly and willingly paid you directly for your services.

Would you care to tell us how much remuneration and other pecuniary benefits you receive that was forcibly taken from our pockets?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 29 December 2014 8:35:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The problems are that being different is the crime.
Not being more or less righteous, moral, lawful or hopeful; just being different.
Many of you posters suffer the xenophic hatred which has plagued mankind since it first learned to grunt its displeasure at the presence of another tribe when civilisation" began. It's been that way ever since.

Societies have relished conformity of appearance, thought, language, religion, even dress.
The "mob" mentality tries to prevail here in Australia, a country founded on the results of the unforgiving class structures of England.
Our convict settlers reacted with a deeply growing sense of the equality of all men, the need to share tangible as well as mental assets.

Fortunately there still seem to be enough reasonable, compassionate individuals among us who extend true willingness to newcomers to the country to share our lifestyle without abandoning their intrinsic makeup.
I draw great pride from my Scots ancestry, but an even greater one at having been born here in a country whose traditions have flowed effortlessly to me.
I'm even prouder of my friends and acquaintances who, like me, have married across national differences, and adopted the wonderful outcomes and learning of another culture.
My Chinese wife suffered similar racial hatred when she arrived in this country twenty years ago. She shares my bewilderment at the rationale for racial hatred, currently the trendy fashionable one of Islamophobia.
Who among us is so perfect as to be above any kind of criticism?
Posted by Ponder, Monday, 29 December 2014 9:19:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My attitude to multiculturalism is a bit like that old joke: ‘I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not so sure.’

Over time, I’ve come to suspect that multiculturalism is not as noble, humane and progressive as it claims to be. It’s really part of a global system of social engineering. As more and more countries are destabilised by wars, coups, economic sanctions, glaring inequality, avoidable poverty and sectarian tensions, increasing tides of refugees and migrants are created – ripping people away from their ancestral lands and cultural heritage.

Then pressure mounts on the non-affected countries to ‘absorb’ all these refugees and migrants, who are suffering the full range of grief and misery at being uprooted from all they feel close to.

However, the human territorial instinct in the ‘absorbing’ country’s population poses a huge barrier to all this refugee and migrant ‘absorption’. Inevitably, primeval tribal/territorial instincts simmer and gradually boil over.

The aim of multiculturalism is to shame and blame these tribal/territorial instincts in order to inhibit any resistance to this flow of refugees and migrants away from their ancestral lands and into foreign countries that are obliged to absorb them.

Ironically, those who most oppose the influx of migrants and refugees into their countries are the least able to comprehend the forces that are creating them. Many of the countries that these refugees and migrants are coming from have no history of mass migration until recently; indeed, they have lived in their ancestral lands for thousands of years.

The only real answer to the problem of multiculturalism is to start questioning why all these wars and destabilisations, that create mass migrations and refugees, are happening.

Frankly, I don’t think we really want to know the answer, because much of it lies with Western foreign policy, which is dedicated to overthrowing (otherwise fully functioning) regimes it doesn’t like and creating vassal puppet states amenable to Western interests but toxic to indigenous populations.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 29 December 2014 10:47:57 PM
Dear Ponder,

I applaud diversity.

What I do not applaud is a policy dictated from above which tells us that "you must be diverse".

The author's main point is: "There is always more to be done to ensure Australia's social cohesion remains sustainable", which can be translated as: "My salary should always remain safe, come what may".

What the hell is it their business whether or not there is social cohesion? Why not just let things fall naturally where they may, cohesive or otherwise?
Ah, how could we forget that this thieving class of politicians and "public servants", parasites who never produced a useful thing in their life, are heavily invested in sustainable social cohesion because it ensures their continued rule and the steady flow of our hard-earned money into their pockets.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 29 December 2014 11:15:24 PM
Cute words, these, but detached from the real world. Any look at the results of mass immigration show problems overlooked in this simplistic, biased article. There is never any indication that mass immigration may cause serious trouble or any questions as to what conditions may have caused turmoil in the foreign country, or if bringing certain people will also introduce that turmoil into Australia. For the author, it is all rosy, positive and wonderful with no downside.

The fact is that you cannot have social cohesion by emphasizing diversity. By definition, diversity is divisive.

Managing diversity, as the author puts it, requires taking sides, and the sad truth is that this means that the customs and actions of any non-western culture are given precedence. The emphasis is always on respecting those cultures, not the tradition values of Australia. If diversity were natural, it would not require managing, would it?

The idea that “Cultural and religious leaders” will help handle the occasional social conflicts is ludicrous. Leaders will stand with their communities and in the case of some communities, it is the leaders that will support conflict and instigate religious hatred.

Multiculturalism is not a two-way street. It offers little for the average person except the possibility of conflict because of the diversity of opinions, beliefs, values and actions. It is a doctrine pushed by the leaders (government, media, clerics, academia, etc...) only because it gives them a sense of moral superiority and additional power to “manage” (that word again) peoples’ lives.. The wishes of the common people are unimportant. Witness the maneuvers in Sweden this month by the government to avoid an election in witch the main issue would be immigration. Witness the hate and viol thrown by the powers that be at any party that advocates reduced immigration.

The Australian Multicultural Council should, in the interests of truth, be renamed Australian Balkanization Council.

Oh, by the way, perhaps Mr OZdowski could write an article on the benefits of multiculturalism for the parents of girls in Rotherham, UK. If nothing else, it shows how officials manage diversity
Posted by kactuz, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 3:17:42 AM
Hi Ponder,

I'm all for diversity as long as everybody lives by the same rules of law, and recognition of the equality of the sexes.

I totally oppose any diversion from those principles, including witch-burning, genital mutilation, child marriages and under-age sexual relations (i.e., in law, rape), honour killings, reactionary beliefs that women inherit only half only half of a man's share, domestic violence, and the beheading of children.

If it's Islamophobic to oppose those crimes, then that says something more about Islam than many people would like to confront. Of course, it would be nice if we all got along, on the basis of the rule of law for all and recognition of the equality of men and women.

But who is out of step in that scenario ? Those who favour male superiority and differential power, and the imposition of religious beliefs on others.

Multiculturalism should not include 'diversity' of rights. All Australians have, and should have, equal rights in law. No group, or sub-set of a group, should have more rights than others. There should never be the slightest concession to any diversion from that principle.

Don't you agree ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 30 December 2014 7:52:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy