The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pope calls on world to end Islamic State barbarism > Comments

Pope calls on world to end Islamic State barbarism : Comments

By David Singer, published 9/12/2014

The Common Declaration constitutes an impassioned plea on behalf of 1.2 billion Catholics and 300 million Orthodox Christians world-wide for concerted international action to eradicate Islamic State.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Israel Acts as ISIS’ Air Force … Repeatedly Bombs Syria

Why Are We Fighting On the Same Side As Terrorists?

By WashingtonsBlog

December 08, 2014 "ICH" - "Washingtons Blog" - Israel has repeatedly bombed Syria over the last couple of days.
The attacks have been close to the Syrian capital Damascus, and have reportedly taken out agricultural facilities and warehouses.

As we’ve asked for years, why are we and our allies fighting on the same side as terrorists?

Last year, Republican Congressman Ted Cruz opposed U.S. military intervention in Syria, saying the U.S. military shouldn’t be “Al Qaeda’s air force.”

Similarly, former Democratic Congressman Dennis Kucinich said that striking Syria would turn the United States military into “al-Qaeda’s air force.”

I guess Israel doesn’t mind being the air force for Al Qaeda. (re-branded as ISIS). Strange bedfellows, indeed …
Posted by MEH, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 9:47:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yup, let's all join forces now to eradicate ISIS.
Only first we need a little bombing of Damascus and a few more sanctions on Iran, both front line states in the fight against ISIS.
Go figure.
Posted by halduell, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 12:58:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's interesting that a Christian leader is condemning the actions of Islamic terrorists. Anyone who has read the Old Testament will find much that is familiar in the orders given by "God" to the Jews of old.
Posted by Louisa, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 2:02:27 PM
ISIS is a Mossad/CIA Langley creation. The banking criminals in the West are using radical Islam to enslave their own people.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 6:48:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Louisa,

What has the Old Testament got to do with Christians?
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 7:00:05 PM
Same god!
Posted by Louisa, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 7:17:11 PM
Louisa probably overlooked the fact that those the Bible was written for to be understood literally lived three millennia or so before this pope. So perhaps the pope should not be using a car or an aeroplane but ride on a mule as they did in those times.
Posted by George, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 8:26:46 PM
It says in Hebrews that God is the same "yesterday, today and forever" and the Pope condemns homosexual relationships because God said back in the book of Leviticus that they were evil. I just think if he's going to believe in the Bible then he should be consistent.
Posted by Louisa, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 8:56:33 PM
Louisa,

Different God, the Christian God is a Trinity, three persons in one God, the God of the Old Testament is singular.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 9:35:59 PM
Yes, that is, more or less, what I meant by “to be understood literally”.
Posted by George, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 9:54:23 PM
Sorry, the above was refering to what Louise, not Is Mise, wrote.
Posted by George, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 9:56:20 PM
Where does one start ?

First off, this is 2014, not 1100 BC.

Secondly, to get back to the realities of the current Middle East, the political situation across Syria and Iraq (and elsewhere) is dauntingly complex. Every player has his (or her) own alliances, interests and priorities.

The Israelis understandably have to watch their own borders and deter any potential aggression from Hezbollah or Hamas, OR ISIS. Their most pressing concerns are to minimise attacks from Hezbollah. Hezbollah is supported by the Assad dictatorship. So Israel destroys what it supposes are supplies from Assad's regime to Hezbollah. Fair enough. Only an idiot would read from that, that Israel supports ISIS. Oh hello, Arjay, didn't see you there :)

The Coalition has the major task of protecting Iraq from ISIS. Tacitly, they are co-ordinating air attacks on ISIS with Iran, Assad's main ally. They can't do it too openly, for fear of immediately losing any support from the Saudis or Turkey. They are supporting the Kurds around Kobane against ISIS, but as for the Assad vs. ISIS struggle, they're leaving that up to Assad. And why not ? I suspect they would rather see Assad win out rather than ISIS, but they are not going to do his work for him.

Nor do they want to seem too supportive of the Kurds, for fear of alienating the Turks.

Sorry Halduell, Arjay, Louisa, it's not an either/or world, it's immensely complicated, more than I can get my head around. Dictatorship vs. Islamo-fascism vs. very weak democratic forces - that's a start. Sunni vs. Shia. Arab vs. Kurd vs. Turk. Wahhabi vs. Salafi. Fascist Islamists vs. Christians/Yazidi/Druse/Alawite. Qatar vs. the Saudis.

Christ, Australia really IS the lucky country. So far.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 10:36:22 PM
@Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 10:36:22 PM
Yup, Australia really is (still) the lucky country.
I'm reminded of Russell Crowe's comment when accepting an Oscar ( I hope I have it right):
God bless America; God save the Queen; God protect New Zealand; and thank Christ for Australia.
Posted by halduell, Wednesday, 10 December 2014 12:02:41 AM
Hl,

Interesting combination of countries there: all doing relatively well (no US, UK NZ or Australian refugees that I've heard of), and so far no obvious ISIS presence in any of them.

Is there any correlation, I wonder, between

* countries and movements demanding total obedience to a particular line and an ideology built on no-change, no-questioning, everything-is-already-written, we-have-all-the-answers, on the one hand, and

* countries with a fair amount of latitude in how people think and what they can do, and ideologies conceding how imperfect, changeable, unpredictable life can be.

Totalitarians of both Right and ..... well, Right, gravitate to the first. Liberals, in the political science sense, are happier with the second. Where do you stand, Hal, or do I need to ask ?

I suppose it's one reason why I can't stand those bloody Hobbit movies, where Ian McKellen can act like an absolute dictator, or sultan, or medieval king, whose word is law. Thank Christ he has been 'killed off' in this latest one.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 10 December 2014 8:15:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy