The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don't lift taxes to fix the budget > Comments

Don't lift taxes to fix the budget : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 10/12/2014

Moreover, the tax-to-GDP ratio is higher in Australia than in many countries with which we compete for investment and skilled workers, including South Korea and the United States.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Jardine,

'Untrue, stupid, liar' - words you have repeatedly used in response to my posts, with no provocation from me. You wouldn't have the guts to say them to my face.
These are the words of a troll and loser. Your posts containing such insults will elicit no response from me other than to call you out for what you are.

A certain political leader we all know - Tony Abbott - used the same tactics - CALLING 'LIAR' - with the help of 2UE. That leader has proved to be just that - through breaking many of his election commitments - and the opinion polls are treating him accordingly.

Your accusations are remarkably similar to his. Those who keep calling people they disagree with 'liars' are usually liars themselves.

So my advice to you is to give yourself a break and desist.
Posted by Roses1, Thursday, 11 December 2014 12:42:40 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good points McReal.

The Bush/ Howard tax cuts/ breaks for the rich 1% were installed in a crazy binge before the neoliberals' trickle down economic theory was discredited by the GFC melt down. In the US this left the country with huge government deficits (taxpayers bailing out the banks) which is slowly being paid off due to Obama's winding back of some of the Bush tax cuts.

Re taxation in the USA - it is complex, with states levying many different taxes. I am currently staying in New York State. It levies income tax of 4 - 8.8% plus sales taxes of 4% with up to 5% more added by some counties, in addition to property and other taxes. States also levy different rates of fuel tax and estate taxes.

http://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-new-york-wyoming#NEWYORK

People, particularly retirees move from interstate to get lower taxes.

It appears that the Coalition wants the states to do more taxing in Australia. I don't think it would be a good thing but would like to know what others think.

PS It is even more expensive to live in the US than in Australia. You pay through the nose for most things except for fuel which is only about $1/ L. Restaurant meals are expensive plus you pay tips even though the waiters are only getting a few dollars per hour. My grandson had a small cut on his forehead stitched and the bill was $5,600!. Some people are engaged in legal gouging / robbery. God forbid that we allow that to happen in Australia. Their fully privatized health system costs twice as much for poorer outcomes; 'Obamacare' is mitigating that to some extent but the system is still broken.
Posted by Roses1, Thursday, 11 December 2014 2:38:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Roses,

<<My grandson had a small cut on his forehead stitched and the bill was $5,600!>>

The reason for that is regulation: why are only medical doctors allowed to stitch wounds? Having such a cartel backed by criminal law, is why they can charge whatever they like.

Medicare is a conspiracy between government and the powerful AMA (perhaps even more powerful than government itself). If ordinary people could legally do their own stitching and get their own medication, then competition would force doctors to improve, reduce red-tape and serve their clients/patients directly instead of their patrons in government.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 11 December 2014 6:36:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Roses1,

Yes, indeed, implicit in the author's arguments is the perennial favourite of Neo-liberal ideologues, that tax is a 'burden' ie public goods and services have no utility.
Conservative politicians could also save taxpayers' funds by stopping subsidies for private schools and stopping soft loans to farmers who cannot survive droughts. They should practise what they preach.

Some plebs have finally realised that 'fixing the budget' is just camouflage for an attack on social democracy.
Posted by mac, Thursday, 11 December 2014 7:53:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy