The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Trade, blasphemy and safe havens > Comments

Trade, blasphemy and safe havens : Comments

By Babette Francis, published 5/12/2014

It is not only in the Middle East and in areas under the control of ISIS that Christians and other minorities are suffering persecution. Pakistan, our friendly cricket-playing Commonwealth country is a major offender.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Thanks, Babette,

The West has really dumbed down. They don't seem to know what's right and wrong anymore and continue to ignore the plight of Christians of whom are held in contempt in their own countries in the West.

I've previously expressed my concerns about the threats from Islam including the unspoken honour killings occurring in the UK and Londonistan. I usually get called a bigot for it.

We are living in the Dark Ages. We are living in fear of being offensive.

Disgusting. Honesty will always be offensive. Too bad.

Keep up the good work, Babette.
Posted by Constance, Friday, 5 December 2014 9:31:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes the world needs to be free of religion having any part of government or law making. Whenever one religious sect dominates a countries government so it uses that power to dominates it's minorities.
Just look in Christ-stained Africa and the anti-gay laws they are passing there.
Bad things happen when people start believing in fairies.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Friday, 5 December 2014 10:05:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>Whenever one religious sect dominates a countries government so it uses that power to dominates it's minorities.<<

So also Britain - that Babette also referring to as well - is "dominated by one religious sect" ? Or are anti-gay laws acted upon by African immigrants to Britain?
Posted by George, Friday, 5 December 2014 10:17:29 AM
You know what, I think there were probably valid reasons for the expulsions of the past.
Posted by Constance, Friday, 5 December 2014 12:00:10 PM
Secularism has much in common with Islam. Often the 'progressives'are silent unless it affects the feminist directly.
Posted by runner, Friday, 5 December 2014 12:23:59 PM
Thank you, Babette, for saying so clearly what needs to be said about the Islamic persecution of Christians overseas, and the enforcement within some of their own communities, even in Western countries, of such things as arranged marriages and 'honour' killings.

These abominable practices have got to stop.

It is disgraceful that our Western leaders are too timid to denounce them
Posted by John from Melbourne, Friday, 5 December 2014 4:59:43 PM
Babette, it seems to me that this issue is more a women's rights issue and a cultural issue than a religious persecution.
Women in Pakistan are often seen as second class citizens regardless of their religion.

I agree we should all be asking for trade sanctions and sporting cancellations for those countries who have a poor human rights history.....and then I look at the plight of our own Indigenous people, and how we treat asylum seekers who come to us for help.

There are many good people in this world who are not Christian, just as there are many 'bad' Christians.
You would do well to remember that.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 6 December 2014 12:38:46 AM
Did Babbette claim that there were only good Christians? Is there no diffrerence in Pakistan between how the mob would treat an openly Christian and an openly Muslim woman? Is the discrimantion of Christian women in Pakistan comparable with that of Muslim women in Pakistan, not to mention ex-Christian countries like e.g. Australia?

I am not a woman, but I doubt there are no differences, so I think the fact that there are differences is what Babette, and not only Babette, would do well to remember.
Posted by George, Saturday, 6 December 2014 3:48:14 AM
Thank you George for letting us know you're not a woman! Critical information; given that penis would look entirely out of place, unless buried deeply within? Ha ha.

I find myself agreeing with J.O.M!
Total all encompassing trade and sporting sanctions, would tell these stone age R soles; and all those who continue to trade with or support them; that they and all their flat earth ilk, can't keep getting away with their ancient barbarism/abject ignorance.

Which in reality, has nothing whatsoever to do with Islam and it's original, unedited, unrevised teachings; but hugely perverted versions of it; the real blasphemy!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Saturday, 6 December 2014 11:35:47 AM
>>Which in reality, has nothing whatsoever to do with Islam and it's original, unedited, unrevised teachings; but hugely perverted versions of it; the real blasphemy!<<

I completely agree Rhosty. What I was trying to point out to Suzeonline (not to J.O.M.) was that in modern times there is a big difference between perverted versions of Islam and perverted versions of Christianity (that she seemed to have in mind) concerning treatment of women, wherever they are practised. The difference might not have been that big in the Medieval past.
Posted by George, Saturday, 6 December 2014 11:50:32 AM
George, what I was trying to say is that in places like Pakistan, the religion of the woman is probably not so much of a problem as the fact she is a lowly female!

Babette trying to champion the cause of the Pakistani Christian women is all very noble, but I would be looking further to the whole female population in places like Pakistan, not just the Christian ones.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 6 December 2014 1:03:41 PM
Susieonline; Indeed when I think of the uproar over aparthiet in
South Africa where are those protestors now over the oppression in Islamic countries ?
No cricket bans at all.
Posted by Bazz, Saturday, 6 December 2014 10:19:57 PM
>> Babette trying to champion the cause of the Pakistani Christian women is all very noble, but I would be looking further to the whole female population in places like Pakistan, not just the Christian ones.<<

Suzeonline, I am sure your intentions are also noble, so if you write an article about “looking further to the whole female population in places like Pakistan, not just the Christian ones” it will deserve the same respect as Babette’s (even if you would not want to point out the obvious difference between the treatment of Christian and Muslim women in places like Pakistan, though obviously bad for both).

Authors, including Babette and you, have the right to choose the topic they want to write about.
Posted by George, Saturday, 6 December 2014 10:29:16 PM
Western governments have to take this issue seriously and recognise that Islam is a threat. They failed to take Nazism seriously and entered World War II without modern weapons suffering mass casualties and huge numbers taken POW who suffered greatly for years. France suffered a brutal occupation for five years. We forget that the allies almost lost World War II in the early stages. It was the same with Communism. The western nations failed to take it seriously until Ronald Reagan,Margaret Thatcher and Pope John Paul II put an end to it. Let us learn from our mistakes. If a threat emerges the sensible thing to do is to confront it courageously and face the other side down very aggressively.
Posted by Gadfly42, Sunday, 7 December 2014 7:51:02 AM
Come off it runner. You hate the "infidels" just as much as any mad mullah. You are no different than them. You bigoted godbotherers are all the same.
Posted by mikk, Sunday, 7 December 2014 11:07:04 AM
Having western governments set up safe havens for Muslims who want to leave Islam is a brilliant idea. It would really stick it to the whole Islamic world. Islam is a terrorist religion that relies on terrorism to keep it's subjects, especially it's women, in line. But too many young Muslim women are coming too see that it is a male dominated religion run for the benefit of Muslim men and they want to flee it.

Muslims men understand the importance of young women in propagating and expanding their evil religion, and that is why they go to any length to marry non Muslim females while keeping their own young women totally controlled and forbidden from marrying non Muslims, on pain of death.

Islam is using birth rate differentials and immigration to take over European countries and unless that is stopped then we had all better start buying prayer mats. This desire by Islam to control us could be subverted if we set up a situation which protected Muslims who wished to convert to other religions. It is only terror which keeps many in the fold of Islam.

Allowing young Muslim women to escape from Islam by offering them government supported safe havens would do more to destroy Islam than the coming civil wars in western countries between western people and Muslims. It would really pee off the Muslims and that would be great. The Mullahs in the west would then have to explain why they oppose a measure designed to give their young women religious freedom. They are already squirming about the "sword" verses in the Koran and having to explain why they oppose any government protecting young women's religious choices would be very entertaining.

Even some of those who reflexively blame the yanks for everything, while simultaneously excusing the Muslims for everything, may find the sight of Muslim men rioting and killing in order to prevent their young women from fleeing their evil religion, a bit much. It could even get some trendies thinking straight.
Posted by LEGO, Tuesday, 9 December 2014 3:14:28 AM
Islamic State in Martin Place. Here we come.
Posted by Constance, Monday, 15 December 2014 9:59:05 AM
@ Mikk

As someone who has stridently defended an open-door policy on any Tom, Dick or Monis who cried: " Ï'm a refugee let me stay here"
Do you feel any regrets?
Posted by SPQR, Monday, 22 December 2014 5:25:28 AM
Sorry SPQR only just noticed your question.

No.
How many people have we accepted as immigrants over the years? That madman in Martin Place was only one of them. Do we decry all immigration because of one man out of millions?

Were his actions because he was a refugee?
If not then WTF does it have to do with anything?

Whether he was a refugee or a native born Australian has no bearing on what he did and in no way reflects on our immigration and refugees systems.
To try and say so is just more of the same shameful, racist, bigoted, divisive dog whistling so popular with rightards these days.
Posted by mikk, Saturday, 3 January 2015 11:29:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy