The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > New evidence for a 'Celestial Jesus' > Comments

New evidence for a 'Celestial Jesus' : Comments

By Brian Morris, published 30/10/2014

Since the 'Enlightenment' a rising tide of doubt has surrounded Christianity, the Bible's authenticity, and Jesus.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Suse,

If we take a broad definition of religion as 'a way of life' then it is indeed ancient and there is evidence that the Neanderthal had religious practices and that they buried their dead with ceremony.

Under the above definition, Communism is a non-theistic religion.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 2 November 2014 9:09:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise, I don't think the bible believes in Neanderthals and evolution.
Adam and Eve were the first humans apparently.

Yuyutsu, I agree there would be mass hysteria if it was proved there was no Jesus.
However, I very much doubt that many Christians would ever believe in that 'proof' anyway, given that they don't appear to need any proof that gods exist either!

I don't see any harm in believing there is an invisible father-figure up in the sky looking after them, as long as these beliefs don't interfere with politics or anyone else's life.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 2 November 2014 12:22:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Suse,

<<I don't see any harm in believing there is an invisible father-figure up in the sky looking after them, as long as these beliefs don't interfere with politics or anyone else's life.>>

Yes, betraying God for the sake of becoming entangled in politics, by those bodies that were supposed to lead people to God, should be called what it really is - adultery, and is probably the worst thing that ever happened to religion.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Sunday, 2 November 2014 5:18:23 PM
Suseonline my thoughts exactly, unfortunately I have had so many religious people trying to convert me to their way of thinking, why do they do it? I do not force my Atheist viewpoint on them, "God is watching you" what proof, show me he is watching, "We all have souls" please show me a soul, do not talk to me this way, I do not like it, if you believe in them good luck to you, but do not even mention them when in my company, I am not the slightest bit interested in superstition.
Posted by Ojnab, Sunday, 2 November 2014 5:47:01 PM
"Morris tells us that Carrier proves the Gospels are “pious fraud” and the independent evidence of Jesus’ existence is “imaginary”. But he doesn’t describe the basis on which Carrier reaches those conclusions, leaving readers unable to judge for themselves whether Carrier actually does prove those things. Morris concludes that “the evidence is overwhelming” that Jesus is purely fictional, but we must take Morris’s word for it."
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 30 October 2014 4:22:34 PM

Best to read Carrier's book; or other books such as Father Thomas Brodie’s "Beyond the Quest for the Historical Jesus".

"Morris also sets up a false dichotomy between the New Testament being pure history or pure myth. Most bible scholars and most Christians contend it contains both, and other genres as well."

What is history is hard to determine: dates, etc. are hard to fathom given the various dating systems of the times.

Also, it is likely the Bible narratives were elaborated over many generations/centuries before the Canon was finalised. Some 19th C Biblical scholars such as AD Loman believe the Pauline texts developed in a separate and adversarial community to the community/ies that developed the Canonical Gospels, and the texts were finally aligned though compromise and redaction.
Posted by McReal, Thursday, 6 November 2014 8:54:34 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy