The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Building bridges: asylum seekers in rural Australia > Comments

Building bridges: asylum seekers in rural Australia : Comments

By Isobel Blackthorn, published 20/10/2014

Out in Dandenong, where many asylum seekers now reside, one woman has devoted her life to helping improve their quality of life in a unique way.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
it's about reaching out to another in the spirit of conviviality, in order to encourage understanding and diminish mistrust and suspicion.
Posted by SHRODE, Tuesday, 21 October 2014 5:06:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I immigrated to Australia when I was only nine years old From the Netherlands, we were as poor as dirt but ended up finding our feet here. it did not take us too long to learn the language and economic conditions were such that there was enough work available for us to get by on. I Know how hard it can be for a immigrant that gets here legally and understand the bigotry and racism that surrounds us, fortunately I was very white and blended in easily.My hat goes of to the people that help these refugees out and a pox on those that use their misfortune to further their own interests like the tabloid papers. the shock jocks and the liberal government. the people that make a home here appreciate what they have and it is in our interest to help them get settled in.
Posted by Robbb, Wednesday, 22 October 2014 5:03:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robbb,
You showed your ignorance when you equated FGM and male circumcision. Need to inform your self!

In your post about asylum seekers you said. "the people that make a home here appreciate what they have and it is in our interest to help them get settled in". You failed to mention the illegals.

How many illegals do you think we should welcome and 'help settle in'? If they appreciate what we have, why are so many going to the ME to fight in a civil war and committing atrosities? The fact is that many muslims hold our laws and society in contempt. By your comments, you do not appreciate what we and your parents have given you.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 23 October 2014 10:04:05 AM
Not many are going back there at all infact. If one has no place to go because you home coutry has become too dangerous then people put survibal before rules. So tell me expert how many people of midle eastern decent went back to fight in their old country. As fo equating female genital mutilation and male genital mutilation.you i am afraid are showing you abject ignorace on that subject .
Posted by Robbb, Thursday, 23 October 2014 11:24:50 AM
Robbb,
You are the ignorant one. There is no comparison between FGM and male circumcision and the two should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Most forms of FGM is equivilent to the removal of half the male penis. FGM IS serious and causes major ongoing side effects. There is plenty of info about the matter, if you care to look, instead of simply dismissing it.

It is estimated the about 150 have gone to fight in Syria and Iraq and many more have been stopped from going. Pity that as they may not return, with luck.

To say they appreciate what we have in Aus is ridiculous. The illegal entrants are simply opportunists who deserve no help.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 23 October 2014 1:43:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy