The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Progressives and feminists have been led astray on the question of the burqa > Comments

Progressives and feminists have been led astray on the question of the burqa : Comments

By Andrew Glover, published 13/10/2014

Capitalism celebrates individuals as independent creators of self-identity through the way we choose to conduct ourselves, the things we choose to buy, and particularly in the way we choose to dress.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Phanto, I hope you are not including nuns here?
Posted by Constance, Wednesday, 15 October 2014 11:11:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner,

"I would say Phanto that very woman who needs to dress immodestly in order to attract man's eye is not free. It is probably easier to throw on one of the hideos burqa's than standing in front of the mirror for an hour a day."

I wish we could throw a metaphorical burqa over your "unattractive" musings.

Cheers...
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 15 October 2014 11:17:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yea I know Poirot feminist/progressives have always hated be shown the truth. You are one of the finest examples of that.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 15 October 2014 3:27:30 PM
Lol!, runner...that's telling me!

As far as I can see, so far your crowning contribution to this subject has been to slag off any woman who wears a covering because they may be less that attractive.

Very deep, runner...

Most profound...
Posted by Poirot, Wednesday, 15 October 2014 4:20:37 PM
and your profound regurgitated progressive answers Poirot are so sophisticated not.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 15 October 2014 4:53:07 PM
phantom

Your posts are thoughtful and interesting. However, I feel they wander too far into concern-troll territory.

I really think there has been far too much projecting of Western feelings and thinking patterns onto women who wear the burqa/niqab, all designed to see them as willing/unwilling prisoners of their own cultures. We've created this whole line of argument that to ban the burqa/niqab would be to kick these women when they are already down.

This may or may not be true. However, unlike other forms of religious and cultural dress - like Sikh turbans, nuns' habits, Buddhist shaved heads and saffron robes, Italian/Greek women in black etc - the burqa/niqab crosses a line of tolerance for many people in the West.

There is something so overtly confronting about it that, for many, it trumps the sacred Western issue of being free to choose what to wear in public. Also, for some feminists, such as myself, it also trumps common the feminist concern of having yet another patriarchal limitation placed on what women are allowed to wear.

Some would also argue that, if the burqa/niqab were banned, that would mark the slippery slope to banning all kinds of private dress and behaviour decisions.

I don't think so, as the burqa/niqab stands on its own as a 'perfect storm' of confronting values for people in the West, exacerbated by progressives' sensitivities about the West's ongoing war against Islam. Religious tolerance is a two-way street. As far as I'm concerned, burqa/niqab women who live in the West are showing zero tolerance for the sensitivities of the country that they have chosen (or been forced by circumstance) to live in.
Posted by Killarney, Wednesday, 15 October 2014 11:08:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy