The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Progressives and feminists have been led astray on the question of the burqa > Comments

Progressives and feminists have been led astray on the question of the burqa : Comments

By Andrew Glover, published 13/10/2014

Capitalism celebrates individuals as independent creators of self-identity through the way we choose to conduct ourselves, the things we choose to buy, and particularly in the way we choose to dress.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
When are men going to start wearing total black coverings?

Don't know about you but I'm sick of women, covered or uncovered, staring at me and raping me with their eyes.

It gets to you after a while. I mean, why do they only look at my body. Perhaps they are guessing at the size of my 'package'. Surely, in so doing, they don't see my intellect, my creativeness, my worth as a human being, my caring for the human race.

Yeah, let's all wear black coverings that hide everything except the eyes. When we eventually get together it will be a time of wonderful surprises and perhaps even deep disappointment.

Do you remember the time when 'Pick a Box' was all the rage?

Men and Women all dressed in black. What a lark!
Posted by David G, Monday, 13 October 2014 11:23:47 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find the burqua to be a grotesque manifestation of uber-patriarchal "culture".
Most of present day Islam is of course uber-patriarchal.
As of course is much/most/all of conservative or right-wing Christianity - the kind of religion that Runner and the recent World Family Congress promotes.

I am also very sympathetic with feminism as defined by this essay:
http://www.beezone.com/shakti/risefallmothergoddessLMM.html

Altogether the author points out that the Feminine Principle urgently needs to be re-integrated into the collective psyche of Western man (in particular). Because the Western patriarchal mind and "culture" has, by its very nature inevitably brought the entire world to the brink of both cultural and ecological meltdown.
This essay is also a critique of the patriarchal mind and its always murderously reasonable intentions.
http://www.beezone.com/AdiDa/jesusandme.html
Posted by Daffy Duck, Monday, 13 October 2014 11:43:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have to agree with Mac!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 13 October 2014 12:31:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It could be summed up this way;
Have you ever heard a moslem man say;
"No I did not go there, the boss had other ideas."

Meaning of course his wife had something else she wanted him to do.
I and my friends have often said something like this.
Now, before the PCs jump in, yes I will bet some do have their minds changed
by their wive(s). They would never admit it, not even in a joke.

That says it all !
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 13 October 2014 12:37:15 PM
Surely the article has it the wrong way round, The burqa was not designed to protect women from marauding men, but to protect the men, from marauding women.

Too many men were being led astray by the flashing eyes & voluptuous breasts & bellies of women chasing sex, & distracting the men from their allotted duty. That of beheading of infidel men, & the raping of their women.

We couldn't have our brave Muslim men distracted in the street by their own women, they would not have the strength left to pillage.

Having said all that, I think I was partly right about the men wanting to hide the fact that many of their women grew more luxurious beards than they did.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 13 October 2014 2:37:44 PM
I don’t think you can automatically deduce that women who wear religious head dress are less ‘liberated’ than women who do not. When you talk of freedom you have to define what the constraint is that women are under. All things being equal women with head dress can say or do what they like in this country. The only thing stopping them is their fear of losing relationships that they might be emotionally dependent on. This constraint affects women who do not wear head dress as well. No one can make you wear anything including your husband or father. There are no laws here which tell you what you have to wear. If you are wearing it then it is because you are not free enough of your emotional dependence on your relationships and not because of any patriarchal dominance or lack of support from progressives or feminists. It is this dependence which needs to be addressed not only for Australian Muslim women but equally for non-Muslim women.

It may be that another emotional dependence is at work for Muslim women who might claim that they are emotionally independent of their relationships with the men in their lives but continue to dress this way. They may be emotionally dependent on their religious practices. It is a religious practice for nearly everyone who wears that garb. You are telling everyone that you are a religious person. Everyone who indulges in religious practice is emotionally dependent on those practices since there are no logical reasons for doing them. This is how they deal with fear and anger and guilt. This is not the way of human nature.

Muslim women dress the way they do in Australia because they are emotionally dependent on their relationships or their religion. This dependence is not the fault of anyone else but themselves. We should help them see this for what it is and not make it about the shortcomings of patriarchal society or the silence of feminists and progressives.
Posted by phanto, Monday, 13 October 2014 4:00:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy