The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are Australia's actions in Iraq boosting revenge terrorism? > Comments

Are Australia's actions in Iraq boosting revenge terrorism? : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 19/9/2014

The Abbott Government's contention that Australia's return to Iraq will not increase the terrorism risk at home is dangerously contrived.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24
  7. 25
  8. 26
  9. Page 27
  10. 28
  11. All
A bit ad hominem, Pete :)

I'm hoping that Australia will become MORE involved in fighting ISIL, and perhaps for years to come, until they and similar reactionary forces are defeated.

It's going to a long war, and a very long ideological struggle against backward and fascist ideas :(

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 28 September 2014 12:43:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Joe

Politicians embody policies - ripe for ad hominem commentary. Being tough and manly is the way Abbott acts and walks - in case you haven't noticed. The manly approach also typifies his manly Cabinet selection.

I don't think ideology in the usual sense is a factor - but if religion - blissful afterlife following suicide tactics - is an ideology - I'd agree with you.

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 28 September 2014 12:59:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The following should be for compulsory reading and study for everybody, as some people surely already know.
I wonder if it's printed in Arabic.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~gongsu/desiderata_textonly.html
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 28 September 2014 4:42:45 PM
It's sad the way that these important debates begin with enthusiasm and usually end in trivia and infantile insults.

This thread is no exception.
Posted by David G, Sunday, 28 September 2014 5:10:18 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh, I don't know, David, yours was not the last word: it hasn't ended yet.

Topic: does standing up to a bully encourage him ? Does it provoke further attacks ? Should we roll over on our belies and open our legs for him ?

I say no. You may say yes. Discuss.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 28 September 2014 5:27:21 PM
Well Brother Joe

Agree its not the last word.

Depends what you call "bully". If its a small target in some aircraft cross-hairs it may be just a major irritant.

It may not provoke further attacks if its busy defending its little home.

Targeting from a great height may preclude the requirement for leg opening.

If one's leader claims its a threat, but its only an on-balance fib, what should one do - if anything?

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 28 September 2014 5:53:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 24
  7. 25
  8. 26
  9. Page 27
  10. 28
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy