The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Did science or God save Dr Kent Brantly from Ebola? > Comments

Did science or God save Dr Kent Brantly from Ebola? : Comments

By Monica Karal, published 19/9/2014

The Sydney Morning Herald article asks why Brantly arrogantly assumed that God deemed him more worthy of saving than the 1400 people who have died of the disease.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. All
Pericles writes; "I'd be interested to view the mathematics that led you to that conclusion. How are you able to identify the 3% theism? And in what way does that 3% differ from the full 100%?"

I regret confusing you here. How many times have you read on the label of a food container "97% fat-free!"? I was using a device called "literary license" in a frisson of levity. Of course, the 3% is an arbitrary figure, but it is reflective of the degree of Dawkins' atheism

"I can only conclude that "the Dawkins Burden of uncertainty" is just an invention of yours. Right down to the spurious accuracy of its calculation."

Indeed, the DBU is another morsel of literary license that sprang to mind. I make no apology for it, for it accurately expresses my opinion of the issue. I admire Dawkins for his persistent defense of and advocation of scientific pursuit, his voluminous output and his preparedness to be kind in the face of hostility toward his opposition. I admire Carl Sagan for the same reasons.

I believe it is an inalienable right to hold different convictions and to be able to say to anyone, "I disagree with you and I'll tell you why." There's no shame in being wrong if you're honestly wrong. But if, like A.A.Snelling, you can hold unshakeable and unflinching conviction in two irreconcilable paths of thought then IMHO, that person is a charlatan and a hypocrite.
Posted by Extropian1, Thursday, 9 October 2014 6:11:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy