The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bureau caught in own tangled web of homogenisation > Comments

Bureau caught in own tangled web of homogenisation : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 15/9/2014

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology now acknowledges that they change the temperatures at most, if not all, the weather stations that make-up the official station network from which national temperature trends are calculated.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16
  13. All
Leo Lane, what is wrong with you? You have evidently read my post in its opposite sense to that I intended: The Minister must address the Marohasy et al accusations, and our BoM must be forced to "come clean", and stay clean, at any cost. Scientific inquiry, at least where publicly funded, must be restored. How did you mistake me?
Posted by Gerry of Mentone, Monday, 15 September 2014 3:10:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As has been noted this is just an exercise in cherry picking and mud throwing by the increasingly desperate deniers.
It will fail like all their other lies and distortions.
The BOM does a sterling job and is run by competent, smart people unlike the idiotic and deliberately stupid denialist parasites.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 15 September 2014 3:49:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, Gerry, I must have confused you with Jeremy, when listing the offenders against sense and truth.
It would be nice if it were as simple as getting the Minister to enquire, but I think we need a Royal Commission, into the whole climate fraud..

Look at how confused mikk is. He is a fraud supporter, by his acceptance of BOM, despite the proven dishonesty of its process.
Posted by Leo Lane, Monday, 15 September 2014 4:26:53 PM
You have proven nothing Leo except that you are one of the deliberately stupid people.
Posted by mikk, Monday, 15 September 2014 5:01:24 PM
Jennifer says (2nd last paragraph of her opinion piece)

"it should be crystal clear that the practice of homogenisation is indefensible and widespread"

Jardine says;

"Jennifer didn't say that practice of homogenisation is indefensible" (sic)

Look Peter, this really is getting very boring.

I understand why you want to trot out the 'ad hom' guff all the time but geez mate, get over it - it REALLY IS BORING.

Challenge?

Do you have a problem with this:

Data is homogenised to take into account the urban heat island effect to remove the warming bias.

Or is it only a problem in one direction?

Marohasy has been trotting it out for a while now, suggesting even NASA is in on the conspiracy.

"The conspiracy theory is that BoM is using a technique to selectively tamper with its temperature data so that it better fits with the global warming narrative.

The people at NASA are in on it too.

Now the great thing about conspiracy theories is that, for believers, attempts to correct the record just serve to reinforce the conspiracy. Like a video clip of the moon landing on a constant loop, the whole thing feeds back on itself.

Correspondence posted on Marohasy’s blog shows she has been pushing her claims for months that BoM has “corrupted the official temperature record so it more closely accords with the theory of anthropogenic global warming”, according to a letter she wrote to Liberal Senator Simon Birmingham, whose parliamentary secretary portfolio includes responsibility for the agency.

Marohasy lays it on thick in the letter, accusing the bureau of engaging in “propaganda” and littering the text with claims of “corruption”.

Jardine, here's the challenge:

http://tinyurl.com/ForPeterHume

Homogenise that.
Posted by DavidK, Monday, 15 September 2014 5:05:10 PM
Instead of looking down on commentators, why not look at data for yourselves.

I'm the Bill Johnston Jennifer is referring to.

There are many issues with the primary data. For instance ACORN's homogenised Rutherglen minimum temperature series contains an abrupt step-change in 1965, which is indicative of an undocumented station move (fancy trend with that!).

Although trends each side of the shift are no different to zero trend; their quasi-trajectory are influenced by missing daily data, that you could, if you took the trouble, see for yourselves. Missing summer-values reduce average temperatures don't they?

Annual minimum temperature at Rutherglen, has a simple relationship with rainfall, but because of the location, which I know well, it is the opposite of what you would expect. You could check that out to.

These problems are by no means restricted to just a few ACORN stations; they are widespread.

Inhomogeneities are common. They arise from changes in observers; missing data; data rounding; undocumented infrastructure developments etc. Etc.

If the base data are widely and generally faulty, then no matter how they are massaged, the trends they produce will also be faulty.

It is simply not logical to create trends from data that are non-trending. Nor is it acceptable for people to claim trends are real when they are clearly not.

Cheers,

Dr. Bill
Posted by Dr. Bill, Monday, 15 September 2014 5:10:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. 16