The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The case of the shaggy tartan > Comments

The case of the shaggy tartan : Comments

By Tom Clifford, published 15/9/2014

It means UK all. You see without Scotland there is no United Kingdom, just a united kingdom.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Och aye the noo.
If Scotland goes so does its Shetland oil and gas fields.
And what England will do forrrr basic energy rrrresources orrrr the pretty pennies that flow from that, I would'na cloo!
As for marrrrramalade?
Well ma wee Geogrogee, I ha me doots if they'll still be able to afford porrrridge, let alone wee looxuries like marrrramalade.
Do ye no ken?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 15 September 2014 9:46:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australia will have to alter the flag to remove the St Andrew cross.
New passports will have to be issued to the refugees who are waiting to travel to Glasgow airport.
Posted by BROCK, Monday, 15 September 2014 11:21:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article. The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia has a great name, don't you think? What about "Former United Kingdom"? Hang on; acronym's no good. "Remove the profanity" said the OLO botmaster when I tried to post it.

What was the name in 1706? Maybe they could go back to that.

Rhostry, I didn't know you speak fluent Scottish.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Monday, 15 September 2014 12:50:29 PM
Pity those poor Poms, their political poltroons picayune prancing and posturing over power and position present problems aplenty without their Celtic cousins coming on crunchy and crashing the congress to control their country completely, the curse of their concentrated contrariness creates controversy and conflict continuously.
Posted by G'dayBruce, Monday, 15 September 2014 12:58:43 PM
It does seem all wrong to me.

Rather than the Scots voting to stay in or go, surely it should be the Poms voting whether to kick the Scots out, or not.

About the only important question is, where would the Pommy army hold the Edinburgh Military Tattoo?

Still I suppose they could build a replica castle, with all the welfare spending they would save.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 15 September 2014 1:03:39 PM
Och aye the noo J.K.J., neither did I!
Although Ma Da played the pipes.
And was often hearrrd to rrreply to the question, was anything worn under that Kilt?
To which he would usually rrreply, Ladies, I'll have ye know, thrrurres nothing worrun underrr this Kilt, it's all in perrrfect worrrking orrder!
Cheerrrs Rrrhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 15 September 2014 5:33:25 PM
Thus is sarioz buzzinezz RRRhrrrroorrrsty

Just watch a cupla minutes of "Fake A Scottish Accent - Lesson 1" on rrolling your arrrrsssseee
http://youtu.be/KrCMB7N5V1s?list=PLEA6AB5F5B49558F4

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 15 September 2014 5:56:25 PM
Who will be the new King or Queen of Scotland? Where will the border be?
Will Scotland become a nuclear power? Will all the Scottish regiments leave the British Army? If left to themselves, will the Scottish accent become unintelligible?(even more). Will Scotland become expansionist and swallow Iceland? Will the reverse happen? Will the economy of Scotland be too weak to sustain, spreading "wee fat mannies" around the globe a second time? It is all ahead of us now......
Posted by Foureyes, Monday, 15 September 2014 6:42:44 PM
It seems to be mandatory to make fun of this issue and use embarrassingly bad Scottish accents to trivialise the referendum's importance in the global arena.

The Scottish referendum is a potential geo-strategic minefield. Secession and independence is the retribution nightmare of imperial political elites everywhere.

Scotland, be brave. Vote for independence. But be aware that the threat of a good example is the worst case scenario for those who control the world agenda. They will try everything to break you, both before and after the referendum.

But if you vote 'no', then forget all that. You'll be fine. The bountiful Westminster system and financial benevolence of the banksters of the City of London will ensure that the Scottish people will be well taken care of.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 15 September 2014 10:32:42 PM
Like the black and tans took care of Ireland Killarney?
Such "caring people" the poms, during the potato famine, earned a deserved history of "eternal benevolence."
They didn't have to offer dawn to dark endeavor in those hugely benevolent workshops!
Never more obvious than the way they dealt with those foreigners, like the homeless Gurkha, who gave their lives and liberty for Queen and country!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 15 September 2014 11:02:23 PM
Oww...things are getting a tad frosty lads. As a descendant of Scots on both sides for generations, I can honestly say that the early history of Scotland is long irrelevant, as is the ancient history of England, et al. This is romantic tosh to my mind. There are so many other serious matters to be addressed at this point in time, that I wish somebody would get the important topics back on the agenda, and leave Rabbi Burrrrrns in his grave. They had their chance and blew it.
Posted by Foureyes, Tuesday, 16 September 2014 2:55:35 PM
Aye FourEyes

I agree with you.

From my perspective maintenance of Scotland's main defence asset - the Faslane nuclear submarine base http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNB_Clyde is crucial. Faslane is known as HMNB Clyde on the eastern shore of Gare Loch, Argyll and Bute.

The risk of a left-leaning independent Scottish Government (with its brain stuck up Mel-Braveheart-Gibson) closing the Faslane base is considerable. Putin would prefer the base were closed.

Pete
(of Hamilton and Begg clans)
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 16 September 2014 3:09:41 PM
pete

A Yes victory is extremely unlikely. To achieve such an impossibility, the Scots would have to run the following gauntlet:

- resist the rampantly biased brainwashing of a blatantly pro-No Scottish media, which has convinced just about every Scotsperson that Salmond eats more babies than Putin does

- resist the financial terrorism campaign being covertly conducted by the Scots and UK Treasury Departments to 'leak' information to the press about a supposed capital flight and mass ATM meltdown following a Yes vote

- resist the pressure to act like ignorant children on referendum day, just because the very well-funded, very well-publicised and very well-connected No campaign treats them as such

- create a large enough Yes majority (e.g. 80+%) to cause the Tory/Lib/Lab built-in electoral vote-rigging system to fail.

However, if the Yes vote defies all the above odds and wins, then Plan B will be set in place. 'Left-leaning independent governments' are NEVER allowed to last long, as they are far too dangerous (i.e. 'dangerous' because they put the interests of the people before the vested interests of the global elites).

Plan B will comprise all the usual dirty tricks that have been brought to bear on countries that dare to lean towards the left - i.e. currency wars, financial isolation, contrived political and social unrest - to bring it to its knees. Once it finally sees the error of its ways, accepts the international neoliberal consensus and moves its government firmly to the right, all will be forgiven.
Posted by Killarney, Tuesday, 16 September 2014 10:16:19 PM
Lets see, Putin doing a Hitler/Stalin reprise and getting some Lebensraum from the Ukraine, then maybe some Baltic tasters and even then some nice Poland (maybe third time lucky!). And of course the French and Germans would be soooo nice to another mendicant state in the EU that damaged an effective military.

Obviously just the time to Balkanise Britain. There is no force of the State stopping the Scots being Scots so let them prove themselves within a Union with Welsh, Cornish, Poms and Paddys where they were once mostly liked (except for the bag-pipe).
Posted by McCackie, Monday, 22 September 2014 2:58:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy