The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Roads versus railways > Comments

Roads versus railways : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 14/7/2014

So, it is now time for a dramatic change in national infrastructure investment away from roads and back to railways, so long as our railways are brought into the modern era rapidly.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Some seem to have forgotten that there was a time when negative gearing
was removed. It caused such a disruption to rental property when all
those landlords put their properties up for sale that it had to be
reinstated.

Either short memories or too young.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 17 July 2014 6:31:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I haven't seen a single objection here that couldn't be easily overcome by application of known technologies, including making an overhead monorail freight service function effectively, simply by gearing up current parcel and baggage routing systems to handle containers.
Efficient and ubiquitous public transport with privately owned electric cars for local travel, and most of the city/suburban congestion is a thing of the past.
All we need do to fund all this is to kick out the duplicitous Two-Party System that's raping our democracy with it's corruption and self-interest.
Give us a government that truly represents the population and doesn't kow-tow to the big end of town and the sky's the limit, if even that
Posted by G'dayBruce, Sunday, 20 July 2014 12:40:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'dayBruce said,

"I haven't seen a single objection here that couldn't be easily overcome by application of known technologies, including making an overhead monorail freight service function effectively, simply by gearing up current parcel and baggage routing systems to handle containers...."

Well Bruce. you must have missed my remarks re the mind boggling at the thought of a monorail freight marshaling yard.

There is a proposal for a freight monorail in the USA using the latest technology but its purpose will be to carry goods quickly between two ground level trucking terminals; but it's not off the ground yet (pun intended).
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2012/08/a_freight-only_monorail_could.php

and a true monorail, but expensive to build although it has lasted well, having been in operation for over a hundred years.
http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/TPdoub.html

What we need is a definition of a monorail, I suggest a system where only one rail is used and in which all wheels run on that rail.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 21 July 2014 9:10:23 PM
individual,

I well remember when people hung out of the doors on Sydney's electric trains before all the modern safety features were introduced to slow down the operation of the system; my early training in Sydney stands me in good stead when in India, I can get into a Mumbai suburban train faster than many of the locals even during peak hours.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 21 July 2014 9:24:49 PM
A well informed and positive piece, Everald, and I notice that you've encouraged some lively and positive discussion. My article from last December may also be of some interest to readers: http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=15784
Posted by Dr James Page, Monday, 28 July 2014 9:03:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy