The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A new era in the Senate > Comments

A new era in the Senate : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 30/6/2014

In my term in parliament, I want to convince Australians to reconsider whether handing their money over to the government is better than keeping it themselves.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
EmperorJulian, remember there are freaks, hobgoblins and monsters out there in the voting public too.

Under democracy, they should have the right to form, donate to and vote for The Freak, Hobgoblin and Monster Party.

"binding citizen-initiated referenda to limit predation by the state"

Is that what is written on the ballot?
It'd need to be a bit less vague than "limit predation by the state".

In our "frivolous lawsuit" era, that could be construed to mean virtually anything the state does.

Another solution to the senate ballot is to simply not have preferences.

If you number above the line, it's stops at that group and goes no further.
Only below the line are transferred.

Seat allocation is based on total votes (above), then transfers (below), then largest remainder of above.
You may still get a Freak or two.

Rhrosty, you want to abolish the states, only to set up "regional autonomy".

You say tomayto, I say tomarto.
You're just replacing something with a variation of itself.

Are the "regional" social service needs so different in Coonabarabran compared to Hornsby?

People need schools and hospitals, but what significant difference would there need to be in those services?

The bureaucracy could be left in Canberra.
This is the computer age.
The garbage collection of the whole country can be organised on a single computer by a single clerk.

If there are any specific regional needs beyond the national one-size approach, where is the *community*?
Can't they fund those few minor deviations themselves?
Posted by Shockadelic, Monday, 30 June 2014 9:14:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Leyonhjelm,

I congratulate you on being elected to the Senate. I support most of what you stand for. You speak well. I hope you can have an effect.

I have one suggestion. I'd urge you to drop your advocacy for reducing the restrictions on gun ownership. The vast majority of Australians do not want to go down this path (the American path of gun ownership rights). We just don't want it. Only a tiny minority of Australians would support your crusade on this issue. I realise it fits with your interpretation of libertarian principles, most of which I support, but not the bit on gun ownership. They infringe my rights to security. A person gets angry at me on the highway for overtaking him when I made a mistake and misjudged it, becomes enraged (road range) then shoots me.

You are not going to gain broad support on this and you'll expend most of your early political capital defending it, for no gain. Then you'll be unable to make progress on the important issues that you have raised here.

I hope you will be pragmatic and effective. I wish you well.
Posted by Peter Lang, Monday, 30 June 2014 10:04:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don Aitkin,

>"But where did the 1.9 million public servants figure come from? A quick count shows 167k for the Cwth, 322k for NSW and 226k for Victoria … The Australian workforce is currently 11.6 million. Doesn’t seem likely to me."

Don, I include all hosp[ital staff, most community nurses and most academics as public servants, all paid out of the tax payers funds. That's just a start.
Posted by Peter Lang, Monday, 30 June 2014 10:09:02 PM
Shockadelic, if the FH&M Party scores enough actual votes, from FH&Ms knowing they're voting for it, then by all means it should get a seat. The Senate system is a lottery. One unknown - an outsider called Ricky Muir (keen on cars) made it on a 0.51% vote. The Senate is awash with these accidents. Reform is thankfully on the way - see http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/senate-voting-reform-to-finish-minor-parties/story-fn59niix-1226912357031?nk=ef5e6c1383813fa3511d95cbdfc64cfc

There was nothing about binding citizen-initiated referenda on any ballot. My final paragraph was as assertion that that such a system - known as democracy - would be an improvement on any tinkering with any representative voting systems. Real decisions on important specific issues by direct vote of the people. This right of the people is embedded in the constitutions of more than half the States of America and there is pressure (resisted of course by the global corporations which own the US politicians) to improve its accessibility and spread it to more States.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Monday, 30 June 2014 11:19:36 PM
So David, with all the millions being spent on parliamentarians' pensions, you be the first to refuse this waste of taxpayers' money?

And you'd say that the incomes (derived from speculation) of the mega rich is best left in their pockets to further speculate on housing, land company takeovers creating oligopolies, gambling etc and push up house prices and rent for the rest of us? You'd say this is good for the economy and for the majority?

And I suppose David that you'd disagree with the notion that taxes are spent on providing services - both creating jobs and infrastructure - meaning more in the rest of the economy for businesses?
Posted by Roses1, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 6:57:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Leyonhjelm

I generally support the drift of where you want the nation to go, my only exception is that government needs to be involved in infrastructure seeding development, regulations on core services and providing a nurturing environment for small businesses who do not have the resources to deal with the endless red tape that governments at all levels apply.

As for the new era in the senate it does look like a more representative senate with the greens vote down by 3.5% at the last election and Tasmania in specific turning on the tree huggers.

What you do need to understand is that the government went into the election with some very clear agenda items, sure you can question these, make some positive amendments but these must go through, you are not the government, you are part of it.

As for the overspend on coffee machines .... trivial amounts but yes the need a broad policy on coffee, many commercial organisations don't give you instant any more let alone high end machines. You can buy a pod machine for under $100 and let the staff buy their own pods, they require very little maintenance (pretty much throw them away when they fail).

As for the 16m grant sure question it, but if it helps create jobs that last and grow I am happy with that as opposed to about $200m to Holden / year for a declining workforce. I see government grants as seeding jobs not maintaining them.
Posted by RightSaidFred, Tuesday, 1 July 2014 8:00:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy