The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On angels and myths > Comments

On angels and myths : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 30/6/2014

The re-enchantment of the world by way of the Christian story and the art that attends it exists in parallel with our physical understanding of how the world works.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
David, the whole Judeo / Christian story is a call to order for mankind. The relating of that story ( In the beginning was the Word... I am your God, you are my people - my ways are not your ways..) began through a people, the Hebrews, with a pretty good myth that provides an understanding of our human condition. That story matured with the Word coming to flesh. This is the crowning of our humanity.
You sound impatient and despairing with your loss of human hope and trust. Probably for good reason, as reason itself is barren and cold. The Enlightenment of its own is an ill light. Reason informed of faith, and faith informed of reason lets flow a warm light. Michael
Posted by boxgum, Monday, 30 June 2014 12:36:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
VK3AUU..<<..In my youth, we learned of myths and legends..In our youthful naivety we believed them.>>

EVEN GROAN-UPS LIVE OUT LEGENDS/EGENDERY PEOPLE FILLOUR PAST/WALK OUR STREETS/THEY ARE ALL EGSADURATIONS/characateurs/type-cast[S JESUS SAYS IN COURSE IN MIRACLES/the visualisation/of a chair/jons the imagry/being..of all chairs

<M<..It was only later that we realised..that we were being snowed>>

no..it was only later/we lived out lesser dreams/thus disbelieve the works of those driven[see saints]

<<>>and that most of these stories were also myths.>>

so what/myth miracle/its all about possability and probaility[ie infinte monkeys typing out war/and\peace]

<<>. The confusion came about because/they/give the impression of truth.>>

no they are distortions/of fears hopes dreams delusions/
shaping in our mind linkages with spirits loving the obsession of invalidating normal living

<<.Today we have spin doctors..and paid to bloggers
and trolls/all just tryingto earn a crust/push their barrow save the world your way.

<<>who are employed to do exactly the same thing.>>..SOMEHOW BECOMES..<<>.If such a being existed,..mankind would have been called.to order long ago and re..placed by some other race .with much more benign characteristics.>>

HE DID/we are his 9 th try
we are so far doing far better than the rest
[i hold because of fables and imagery imagination passion and god]
Posted by one under god, Monday, 30 June 2014 1:50:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
regardless/we are the 9th[we are the first to be able to read
like angels and demons do/that first abstraction of inds imagination/saw the creation of the symbol/symbolism..solmambalisim

boxgum,..<<>.David, the whole Judeo / Christian story is a call to order /In the beginning was the Word... I am your God, you are my people - my ways are not your ways..)..began through a people,>>

yes thats correct

not just the Hebrews,..it began/with/..<<<,with a pretty good myth that provides an understanding of our human condition...*That story matured with the Word coming to flesh...This is the crowning of our humanity.>>

the word comming/to the flesh\..is that still quiet voice reading the spell/to you\that makes your MIND VISUALIZE THE IMAGERY/processed/by the brain/or fed back by osmosis/holograpgicly/THIS COMMON IMAGERY/THEN HAS..[vibe]\..A SYNCHRONIZED Vibration/with the author who's words frame

the vibe of the imagery
and the comentary..in their mind/put into word/

hit/post

boxer..<<You [david]..sound impatient and despairing with your loss of human hope and trust...?..Probably for good reason, as reason itself is barren and cold.>>

please explain
FOR ME FACTS ARE GREAT
BUT REASONING WITH BALANCING FACORS..is better.

<<>.The Enlightenment..of its own/is an ill light.>>

DO YOU MEAN/ITS FRUITS.WHICH-HUNTS\INQUISITIONS/CRUSADES..OR PILGRIME-AGES..OR MIRROR-CALLS?

<<..Reason informed of faith, and faith informed
of reason lets flow a warm light.>>

Michael..THE END OF THE QUOTATION

faith informed/of reason/implies a reason/a cause
but much misery/is without excuse and beyond that of reasoning

for me/there is one..light/sustaining life via logic/that\life/love logic/logus sustaining all light[light is change of state/a particle of infnite particles AND WAVES/SPECTRUM'S..MAny have their own sense/reality[ie uv]..so much to delight..in de-light./
Posted by one under god, Monday, 30 June 2014 1:54:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's interesting that there are so many books
that used to be the purview of only
dedicated spiritual seekers now hit the bestseller
lists and stay there for weeks and months.

Material that used to be the cosmic gossip at
ashran lunchrooms all of a sudden is on network
television.

As the philosopher Schopenhauer once wrote:
"Every truth passes through three stages, before it
is recognised. In the first, it is ridiculed. In the
second, it is opposed. In the third, it is regarded
as self-evident."

Many still linger between ridicule and opposition, but
there are heaps of people throughout the world - who are
beginning to regard as self-evident principles of
ancient spiritual wisdom.

Many have it seems reached a critical mass of spiritual
yearning despite wordly appearances. There is a mass
curiousity and openess to spiritual ideas, unprecedented
to modern Western culture. Things we thought were
primitive beliefs turn out to be more sophisticated than
we are.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 30 June 2014 2:10:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, that is all they are, beliefs, not facts.

Other societies beside the Hebrews had good ideas of morals and ethics. Take for example Plato, Socrates, Confucius Buddha. The Hebrews so called prophets were just another bunch of spin doctors trying to convince the gullible that they were God's chosen people. They are still at it.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 30 June 2014 2:22:26 PM
An interesting article, but it set some alarm bells ringing.

A few years ago I took a theology course in which the main text was “ReEnchantment: The New Australian Spirituality” by David Tacey. This was one of the worst books on spirituality I have read (and there are some shockers) – a mixture of reactionary Romanticism, vitriolic anti-rationalism and anti-modernity, appeals to authority, and an attempted Jungian critique of Australia’s “national soul”. Tacey calls for a spirituality based on ethnicity, national identity and landscape and directed by artistic and spiritual elites. I found this positively creepy.

I agree that myth, symbolism and the arts are important for faith and for culture more broadly. But they need to be tempered and critiqued. The genie of modernity is out of the bottle. Rather than trying to force it back in, we should see science and reason, myth and symbol as different points in a continuum representing the search for truth, meaning, God, and the nature of the human.
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 30 June 2014 3:47:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy