The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The death of retirement > Comments

The death of retirement : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 12/6/2014

Right now, most Australians can look forward to a life expectancy of 85. An active working life beyond 65 could raise this to 90, with females doing better than males.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
A long time ago I saw a cartoon. A personal officer was talking to a pimply faced youth.

He said, you'll like our retirement policy John.

We retire you from 30 to 40, then you come back & work till you die.

I thought it was a great idea, so I did. I was already a bit over 30, so I had to work harder at enjoying my retirement.

It was a much better idea to retire when young & fit enough to do all those things, I could never manage physically today.

My motto, retire early & often.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 12 June 2014 1:02:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lets hope all the Pollies, Governor Generals, Governors retire at seventy years, not have a four year term in office at age fifty then retire on an indexed increasing salary each year with all the perks for the rest of their lives, let them live on the aged pension after retirement age of seventy, the same as every one else, after all, are they of any use arranging flowers, digging holes for a second, and reading prepared speeches anyone can do that
Posted by Ojnab, Friday, 13 June 2014 3:11:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I concur with most of the comments already made.

This is like Rupert Murdoch or Gina Rinehart preaching to disadvantaged kids how to get ahead.

And this guy is advising the government on ageing? Lord help us!

This Abbott Government is massively out of touch with ordinary working people (to coin a phrase). The Gillard Government was too. But Abbott and those he surrounds himself with reflect the comfortable prejudices and assumptions of the Upper North Shore. The view from Killara or Toorak, perhaps. This article is full of it.

A week ago we had Mens Health Week. What's life like for the tradesman whose arms are wrecked from repeated strain on forearms and shoulders and knees? Or the clerk with RSI from using a computer (this includes women).
It's all a sad comment on the world today. And a very poor article full of complacency and disguised arrogance.
Posted by Bronte, Wednesday, 18 June 2014 5:39:23 PM
Women should retire later. They rarely do physical work and live longer than men. Why should men work til they drop when nearly all women get 'tired' and retire in their 50s? Feminists only talk about equality of outcomes when it suits them.
Posted by dane, Friday, 20 June 2014 6:13:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy