The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Paying the penalty > Comments

Paying the penalty : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 20/5/2014

Why are these two days held to be the ritual times when people should not be obliged to work?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
As a very young bloke, I was a life saver, & of course we needed our weekends off. Then I raced cars, always on a week end, as were the sailing boat races I next played at.

I then spent years playing with tourist boats in the Whitsundays. Thank god for digital watches, with out them in that 7 days environment, you would never have known what day of the week it was. That is essential to know whether to go to the under water observatory or the outer reef today.

I was utterly amazed to see that the fools in the cities, with their very civilized 5 day week wanted the supermarkets open 7 days & half the night.

What idiots, first the check out chicks, then them, what ever they do. Every one is heading 24/7, except the public servants. They will remain on just 3 hours every few days or so of course.

Hell you now don't even know what day it is by when they play football. What is this world coming to.

It must have increased the cost of everything for the big boys & thus us. People are only going to buy so much food. Taking an extra 4 hours a day, & a day & a half extra to sell it means more staff & power bills to pay. If ever a people have shot themselves in the foot with their demands, this is it.

So yes we pay the penalty for so called convenience, & the employers pay the penalty rates. People believe we are now a sophisticated society. Well that may be so depending on your perspective, but we sure as hell "aint" a smart one.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 20 May 2014 1:24:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have worked 'penalty shifts' all my working life, as have all nurses, doctors, ambulance staff, hospital staff etc.
It has never affected my family life.
If you believe in gods, you can surely pray to them any day?

If some people enjoy shopping or eating out at all hours of the day and night, and others need a job and don't mind working all hours of the day or night, then surely it is a win win situation?

I don't see a problem at all, as long as the penalty rates remain in place.
If they don't, you won't want to get sick after hours...
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 21 May 2014 12:16:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy