The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > National Commission of Audit raises concerns for independent schools > Comments

National Commission of Audit raises concerns for independent schools : Comments

By Stephen O'Doherty, published 9/5/2014

The worldview of the Commission, its approach to federalism, demands that the Commonwealth, which does not run schools, should leave this area of policy to the states.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Rhrosty,

"Mac, nowhere in my post did I suggest an immediate cessation of school funding, just a very fair means test!

I wasn't suggesting that you did, I got the impression that you thought that it was what I was advocating. Now that's out of the way, I think we agree on the corrosive effects of increasing social inequalities although we perhaps disagree on the solutions. My father thought that any society with millionaires couldn't possibly be equitable or democratic, now we have billionaires and our society is becoming less egalitarian.

BTW, I and my brother were educated at a private school, my working class parents wanted their sons to get collar and tie jobs, they thought that a private school education would 'open more doors'. I have no idea to what extent my education was subsidised by the taxpayers.
Posted by mac, Saturday, 10 May 2014 11:27:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
YEAH im concerned..RE private schools/too
as i understand..it..anyone..can donATE TAX FREe
then../get a tax deDUCTION/*PLUS SOME LEVEl OF GOVT GOES DOLLAR FOR DOLLar/ON GIFTS..like and of course its sort of double dipping..and is wrong

GOVT SHOULD ASUME..OVERALL RESponsabiity/accotding to levels
state=lower education[and tafe and prisons]
and fed higher ike law finance THE ARTS

KEP IT SIMPLE
HERE IS THE BUDGET/HOW MANY CANYOU EDUCATE/AMUSE FOR THAT PRICE

IE GOVT GIves each schoo the fu bUSGET FOR ALL STATE/COUNCIL FIUNDS /AND THE LOCAL SCHOOLS BEST CHOSE WHERE ITS SPENT..[SCHOOLS BECOME GOVT CENTERS

WE eecentralise
by centraising arround sef autonimous self running SELF SUFFICIENT SCHOOLS/interconnected/by the fed/al WE NEED CHANGE IS THE NUBERS OF 'STATES'[HOW MANY SCHOOLS OF ALL TYPES DO we have..OVER 10/STUDENTS?]

ANYHOW HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

I BE BACK
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 11 May 2014 8:15:33 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While we are on the subject of schooling, why don't we have some REAL reform.

A simple addition to the NSW Constitution Act, would, I believe, result in a huge improvement to all NSW schools.

The addition would be:

1. No person would be eligible to be commissioned as Premier unless they had children or grandchildren of school age, and they could only remain as Premier whilst the children/grandchildren remained of school age.

2. The Premier MUST, on pain of forfeiting their seat in Parliament, and becoming forever ineligible for re-election, cause their children/grandchildren to be educated in the NSW government school nominated by the Leader of the Opposition.

While we are talking about flying pigs, we may add an extra one for fun:

3. Any additional funding required for the implementation of the above items would come from the sale of politicians' assets.
Posted by plerdsus, Sunday, 11 May 2014 9:22:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I remember when some 40 years ago teachers & doctors were bleating if they had mor money allocated they could provide better services.
Well, meanwhile that funding has gone up 20fold yet service standars are declining.
The problem is that the money didn't & still doesn't go to improve services, it goes to improve employment perks & superannuations. Who cares about the service.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 11 May 2014 10:17:58 AM
Pledurs:
If only politicians had to wear all the consequences of all their decisions, we would have the best education outcomes, the best public transport, the lowest energy costs, and the lowest possible tax impost!
And wouldn't that be a very welcome change from the conga line revelations, currently coming out of ICAC!
Perhaps we could get part of the way there, by subjecting politicians in campaign mode, to the occasional voluntary lie detector examination, always providing, that didn't cause an immediate melt down in the machine!
However, not all lie detectors need be connected to the individual, as thermal imaging reveals when the individual is telling pork pies, as does CAFRT! Which sees the tiny extremely rapid facial expression adjustments, the human eye can't detect!
And compulsive liars and Psychopaths can't escape as easily as they now do, given they are not able to control the heat that emanates from particular areas of the brain, when the individuals are telling pork pies. Even as they control their heartbeat and skin tension/perspiration responses!
And how much quicker could we process alleged asylum seekers, if we would just apply the completely impartial technology, rather than emotional humans, all too often swayed in their determinations, by academy award winning acting debuts? Perhaps these individuals should be in parliament, where they should feel completely at home?
And this space age technology, can be applied completely covertly, so the individual doesn't even know his or her responses are actually being truth tested.
As memory serves, only one pollie has volunteered to have him and his policies tested this way, and that was Andrew Bartlett, former Queensland democrat Senator?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Sunday, 11 May 2014 12:00:40 PM
that was Andrew Bartlett, former Queensland democrat Senator?
Rhrosty,
Was he sober when he made that statement ? I wonder how truthful his answer would be if we asked him if he thought he was worthy of what he is getting out of us.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 11 May 2014 12:08:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy