The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > National Commission of Audit raises concerns for independent schools > Comments

National Commission of Audit raises concerns for independent schools : Comments

By Stephen O'Doherty, published 9/5/2014

The worldview of the Commission, its approach to federalism, demands that the Commonwealth, which does not run schools, should leave this area of policy to the states.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
wages of teachers keep going up while standards of education fall. Anyone see the ferals (encouraged by education union no doubt) on Q&A. To think these ones are teaching or want to teach kids. Unbelievable! Failed secular system funding should be dumped.
Posted by runner, Friday, 9 May 2014 3:28:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd not want to go as far as mac, given the sheer numbers educated in so-called private schools!
But I would like to see all education linked to a very fair means test, say that kicked in at $80,000.00 per, with all government assistance exhausting at incomes above $150,000.00!
Now if that's too big a burden, then perhaps they could downsize the property, and with it, the mortgage?
Try managing with just one car and or public transport!
There's plenty carrying all their own weight, yet managing on just an average income!
The age of entitlement, (middle class welfare) is well and truly over?
Try walking to school, around five kilometres, on a gravel road, in bare feet, on a cold and frosty morning!
And then be obliged to share dogeared text books, just to get a very basic education!
Even then, someone somewhere paid for it!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 9 May 2014 4:01:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhrosty,

I wasn't suggesting an immediate cessation of public funding for private schools, rather a gradual phasing out, which should give time for adjustment, 10 years perhaps?

I'm sure that the privatisation of 'independent schools' isn't on the Abbott government's agenda.
Posted by mac, Friday, 9 May 2014 5:49:40 PM
I'm with rhosty on his last post. In my book no-one should be let loose in a class full of kids ready & eager to learn without having done 2 years of national service. How can they teach without knowledge & even less wisdom ?
If teachers were to get paid by evidence of productivity most of them would starve.
I know teachers who agree with me there.
Posted by individual, Friday, 9 May 2014 7:28:48 PM
Mac, nowhere in my post did I suggest an immediate cessation of school funding, just a very fair means test!
Secondly, many of the schools with their hands out are already privatized, and more than adequately funded!
I'm not trying to suggest that we are all somehow equal, but as sure as hell deserve an equal start, and one which allows the real cream to rise to the top, rather than just advantaged, spoiled brats, who think they are somehow actually entitled to UNEARNED advantage.
And I agree, we should bring back national service, and the conscientious objectors, can do their share as the new green army, albeit, at a much more basic rate of pay, or perhaps just working for the dole.
Maybe then, we would see who were the real conscientious objectors were and who were just the rich bludgers, expecting as always, others to do all the sacrificing, or carry the load!
At the start of WW1, virtually all the British officers came from very privileged backgrounds, and so, fought as if flesh and bone were just expendable items or their tin soldiers.
Fortunately for the average enlisted grunt, war has a way from separating the wheat from the chaff; and by the end of the war, what was being sacrificed was tanks and planes, rather than millions of men!
And with that change, forced an armistice on the aggressor nations! Even so, the mindset of the privileged has not changed much, nor do they seem brighter!
It's time we stopped catering to their whim and caprice, and just rewarded real merit, rather than unearned privilege, as demonstrated in the above example; and or, second or third best results or outcomes!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Saturday, 10 May 2014 10:54:55 AM
I can remember reading an article, that reported the man with the highest recorded IQ, was working on the back of a garbage truck.
I don't know why, perhaps he just liked it better than the boardroom or the Parliament he should have been in!
Maybe he just didn't like all the revealed immaturity, or the sandpit squabbling, or being sent to the naughty boy's corner, by a matronly, controlling speaker or chair?
Look, we need to change a very deep mindset, so that our best and brightest are allowed to express their full potential. Or at the helm of the laboratory, the Surgical wing of a teaching hospital, at the head of industry and commerce, or populating the halls of political power!
A result, that can only ever benefit all Australians and all future outcomes for us all, rather than a few poverty conscious doom merchants, locked into patently flawed thinking, because they always have done things that way! (more tea anyone, lovely party?)
Or. i.e., have always lined their tin soldiers up, (Labor market) so that the more deserving, are the ones called on to make all the real sacrifices!?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Saturday, 10 May 2014 11:15:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy