The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Generation's success depends on more than jobs > Comments

Generation's success depends on more than jobs : Comments

By Jan Owen, published 24/4/2014

We've had some great conversations, but it doesn't stop there.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Rhrosty, are you trying to start a war with the US? Though I agree with both you and spindoc, we're not allowed to be self-sufficient...that would be vastly contrary to US foreign policy. What you're talking about is tantamount to nationalization of resources (which I also agree with), but is unrealistic in the scheme of things. Globalization is here to stay, and just as educated people need specific skills for "rewarding" jobs, so does unskilled labor, ironically. And that's learning to do with less, because with the Western World comprising of only less than 2 billion people, that's more than 5 billion people that will do the same for less. And that's what globalization is about for big business.

Obama is in the process of doing a deal with the largest 600 companies, whereby those companies will have more rights than government, that already has more rights than the individual. So things are not about to get better for any of us in the West, only tougher...we're too expensive as a labor market.
Posted by Dick Dastardly, Saturday, 26 April 2014 12:46:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Dick you mention we are to expensive labor market
US pay base of $8 per hour we pay $18 so yes is expensive but at $8 per hour the US can't compete,So We can't go lower in wages whats the answer ? I ask this because a lot of economist use this line to justify there arguments, Whats your thoughts how would you handle it
Posted by Aussieboy, Saturday, 26 April 2014 1:09:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aussieboy, in descriptive terms, the answer is easy...

* we return to regulated banking and business;

* we place higher taxes on the wealthy, returning to paying the captains of industry only 6-8 times the lowest wage earners of the company (it's currently 200-400 times the lowest wage earners);

* 80% of our manufacturing is off-shore...bring it back on-shore;

* scrap all "free trade agreements";

* nationalize our infrastructure.

But absolutely none of that will happen, as it's contrary to the concept of globalization, the self interest of government and the captains of industry, who ultimately, run government.

So in effect, there is no answer. If you're lucky enough to have both the intelligence and family affordability to further your education, you have a chance to find a career with a future. If however you don't possess one or either of those things, "unskilled" jobs are going to be at a premium, since average people outnumber above-average.

One point about the US minimum wage, in service industries where you get tipped, like waitressing, the minimum wage is $2.50 per hour. Nike was paying 50 cents a day for people in sweatshops making $300 shoes in underdeveloped countries, to sell to us in developed countries.

So young people NEED to find a skill with a future. The technological age is going to leave behind those that can't adapt or gain the skills. Period. And what we called "working class" will become a distant memory, for most will be unemployed. In the future, working class will be low level tech jobs, some basic service industries, and for awhile, construction. But that too is being technologically developed, whereby robots will perform construction work.

Everything of the last 4 decades has been steadily working towards this. I'm not advocating conspiracy per se, it's just good business sense for better economies of scale and maximizing of profits. But it ruins it for the people in already developed countries, while bringing underdeveloped countries up. We will never see times like the 60's, 70's and 80's again. In effect, we're witnessing the demise of the Western Empire.
Posted by Dick Dastardly, Saturday, 26 April 2014 2:16:11 AM
Of course, the movers and shakers of the world could all have a simultaneous attack of altruism, and institute the Mondragon system...http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondragon_Corporation, but I also somehow doubt that.
Posted by Dick Dastardly, Saturday, 26 April 2014 2:28:42 AM
‘morning Rhrosty,

Rare indeed! It just goes to show how effective dialog will eventually find some common ground.

I like your point about engaging experience through making << room in that, for 70 year olds, who would just be employed as mentors, for youngsters, who just need, the getting of wisdom >>.

This is a valid point and I know there is a real need because I have done such work as a consultant since leaving corporate.

You note one of the problems is the absolute lack of practical real world experience and its knock on effect. Surprisingly, most employers accept that recruits lack practical real world experience. Moreover they accept that it is their responsibility to impart that practical experience, even for those trade, tertiary or university qualified.

Most experienced employees take absolute delight and pride in coaching and mentoring willing new employees. They are proud of their own skills and experience and dearly wish to pass them on.

Now for the bad news. The one main complaint across the board is attitudes. They complain that whilst they are willing to pass on their skills and knowledge, it is often the case that new intakes appear not to value these.

I maintain a sort of “Black Museum” of comments and attitudes documented along the way from the employer perspective. These I might add have absolutely nothing to do with the domain specific skills or knowledge that recruits are expected to have, but I’ll share some of the most common.

“Can’t read, write, spell or add up”. “Won’t Listen, they want to tell”. “They always know better”. “We are just old fashioned”. “ Can’t leave their bl**dy iPhone’s alone”. “They can always get another job somewhere else”. “They want to be CEO by next week”. The one comment hated the most is “I want to work smarter rather than harder”.

Attitudes drive behavior and the attitudes are inculcated during the education processes.

The greatest gift the education system could deliver for future employees is to remove value/moral laden judgment and replace it with reality
Posted by spindoc, Saturday, 26 April 2014 10:14:32 AM
D.D.
I just don't see developing our own resources as any kind of nationalization! But particularly if nobody else is!
These things belong to nobody else but us; and, a mineral lease should be fully developed or lost, starting as soon as the ink is dry!
Rather than lay dormant and be included as a virtual land bank, in some multinational's portfolio!
Anyway, nothing whatsoever prevents us from utilizing the tender process and contractors, just as many large resource companies do, to get these provenances developed and earning income for us!
Imagine, if just one Leader had the foresight to back a hat in hand Lance Hancock, we not foreign nations, could be in-charge of and reaping all the profit from exporting our iron ore.
And nothing prevents us adopting a new far simpler tax system that then lowers the average tax burden, while actually harvesting more revenue. All that is really required, is to make the thing unavoidable.
If you do business and reap profit here, you should pay some tax! No if, buts or maybes!
Some of the new surpluses could be invested in the energy equity market?
The very simplicity, means pocketing tax compliance money, as the very unavoidably of a decent well thought through scheme, will make any compliance costs unnecessary!
And given it averages around 7%, more than the required tax rate!
Moreover, the tax rate can be varied marginally where and when necessary, to alone and much more immediately control all inflation or stagnation; meaning, interests rates can come down and be left at historical lows, to turbocharge the non mining economy.
Add, to the lowest possible tax, the world's cheapest energy, and we have the high tech industries queuing to relocate to these shores!
And in so doing, end forever, any youth unemployment!
Tomorrows Leaders need to learn to follow before they can learn to lead!
Put simply, even in a world as advanced as ours, there still is no way to put an old head on young shoulders!
Rhrosty
Posted by Rhrosty, Saturday, 26 April 2014 11:04:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy