The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lessons from the 'Building the Education Revolution' program > Comments

Lessons from the 'Building the Education Revolution' program : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 4/4/2014

There are sound reasons to support greater school autonomy given that principals and local school communities are better placed to encourage value for money.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Well said Chris!
I seem to recall, some comparisons between centralized administrations and total autonomy, that showed a 30% saving, in apples for apples comparisons, in the completely decentralized autonomous examples.
Given the same bucket of limited money, the completely autonomous examples, would have around 30% more to spend at the coal face, as higher salaries for bench marked excellence, and more educational resources!
In light of the verifiable facts, no case can be made for retaining centralized administrations and the parasitical nature, that bleeds education funds, from where they are needed!?
And for what? Layer upon layer of additional complexity, that acts to inflict mediocrity and or, impossible to remove incompetence!? And or, a very second class public education outcome!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 4 April 2014 9:36:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Education is probably the least wasteful of Govt Departments.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 5 April 2014 10:10:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd like to read the actual paper.
The gloss (of the gloss) given here only impresses upon me that the author(s)'s conclusions were fully formed at the outset--never a good perspective to take to an ostensibly objective analysis. Perhaps Quadrant shall run it?
The conclusions amount to an attack on the public service (surprise surprise) and promotion of the private sector (read 'small government'), as well as supporting the conservative agenda that promotes public schools as mini fiefdoms.
Really Chris, for shame! No wonder you attack academia, if you're the template!
Show us the article--I'd love to examine it!
All you've presented here are your ideological allegiances, and a half-hearted pretence of even-handedness.
Posted by Squeers, Saturday, 5 April 2014 9:21:19 PM
Squeers, you are free to read article from its source and make your mind up about my supposed bias.

But, how you could read my opinion piece and say I am against govt schools and for the private sector baffles me. I am not, but thanks for telling me otherwise.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 6 April 2014 7:20:23 AM
I'd like to see the results of a survey on why so many school leavers are so inept in everything except digital games. Also, why those who call themselves teachers & school administrators aren't working on better discipline in schools. I'm sure that would be of way more interest to OLO'ers.
How about a survey on a non-military national service by asking high & low performers in schools. In fact any meaningful survey would be of interest.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 6 April 2014 9:59:34 AM
Around 30% more to spend is not far from third and a third is half of the two thirds achieved. But this is uplift, using that third efficiently means that a HALF again more is obtained. This is a huge loss to create sinecures for Arts graduates in the Government.

Just a half step off corruption now but with acknowledgement of its failure, continuance becomes corruption.
Posted by McCackie, Monday, 7 April 2014 8:29:23 AM
Chris Lewis:
"how you could read my opinion piece and say I am against govt schools and for the private sector baffles me. I am not, but thanks for telling me otherwise".

Sorry for delay, I've been away; not that I expect much engagement.

My post was scathing about your academic rigour and your predictable "findings", in beating a thoroughly flogged horse, but I said nothing about your private/public/school preferences. I was criticising the "laboratory conditions' of your critique.
Where your allegiances lie is plain and hardly worthy of digital ink.
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 11 April 2014 9:35:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy