The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > MH370: building better relations with China > Comments

MH370: building better relations with China : Comments

By Peter Coates, published 28/3/2014

These aircraft and ships are of course being used for humanitarian, soft power purposes, but as China is seen as a possible strategic problem their presence seems a little unreal.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
On a lesser note I cannot stand Tony Abbott for resurrecting those snobby Royalty titles, which we can do without, so like all countries that do not get on, I am no better than them, and would much prefer Tony Abbott didn't exist.
Posted by Ojnab, Saturday, 29 March 2014 11:50:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi individual

Australia can only use its position wisely with its eyes open.

Australia isn't in an antagonistic position against China and doesn't have to be in future. There are some hawks in the US, such as McCain, that would prefer the US and its allies WERE antagonistic towards China.

We are in that middle zone of many shades between subservience and antagonism towards China.

Staying in that middle zone - one could call it Businesslike - is our best position I think.
--

Hi Ojnab

Yeah I can see your point.

And besides if any woman I'm with becomes a Dame does that make me M'Lady, M'Lord or Sire *

Denis Thatcher had that problem when Maggie got K-nighted.

I reckon John Howard as Abbott's mentor will be the second bloke to be Sir-ed.

Pete

* see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sire or (for God's Sake!) His Eminence Cardinal Pell.
Posted by plantagenet, Saturday, 29 March 2014 1:19:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh god Ojnab, who the hell cares about a few twits with letters before or after their name.

If that is the worst thing any PM ever does to you, or us, we will be bloody lucky.

Hell we could even have put up with that smirking bit of rubbish, Rudd, if he had done no worse.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 29 March 2014 1:22:23 PM
I cannot stand Tony Abbott for resurrecting those snobby Royalty titles,
Ojnab,
I must admit I was rather disappointed when I found out. To think that Peter Cosgrove is on 425 Grand a year basic wage plus all the plusses. No-one in the public service should get that kind of privilege after all they already get exceptionally good conditions. On the other hand it is not much different to how academics are put on pedestals. They all get there with the blue collar workers' taxes subsidising their more often than not quite frivolous positions.
Then you have to look at those filthy rich, obscenely wealthy Arabs whose poor we're to taking in at our expense because our academic & otherwise ignorant do-gooders have the numbers in Government & the media, until their numbers are right to take us over.
Be it the British or the Saudis or some other african or asian elite/monarchists or even show business celebrities, they're all exploiting the ignorant who happen to make up the democratic majority.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 29 March 2014 1:34:34 PM
Individual & Hasbeen, correct in what you are writing, but where do we go from here? seems that society throughout the world has hatred to some other person or country, mainly coming from those who rule us peasants, if we go to WW1 the peasants were sent off to fight for King and Country, King! would we do that now? I don't think so and certainly hope not
Human beings are strange, although like the animal kingdom we seem to want some sort of a leader, lets look at the coming visit of Royalty, who will be in attendance at most functions, top brass of course, you know the ones with position or loaded with money. who will be stupidly on the street waving their allegiance flag,the stupid peasants again, why? for goodness sake the peasants changed that long ago in Russia when they lined up to wave to the diamond studded parasite parades the Royalty offered, we all know what happened to them.
Perhaps one is not following the post as such, but it is what causes anger and hatred to develop, this being only one line of thought of many, like Abbott & Rudd which you mentioned Hasbeen, although I only mentioned Abbott, their are many, like religion and so on to create tension throughout the world and conflict.
To kill a person or persons is not an acheivment, (Cosegrove) but war to the gentry is what it is all about, honours abound, the more you kill the better, Royalty has always been mixed up in the killing fields, in the past and will be indirectly in the future
Posted by Ojnab, Saturday, 29 March 2014 2:51:48 PM
Any chance someone is going to actually state the obvious?
Given the capability of Radar back during WW2
Is it remotely conceivable that the military of the USA, China, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia and Australia would not know exactly were this plane went and where it finished up?

The great USA with its bases spread across 190 countries, 6 or so secret intelligence gathering and communications facilities in this country. Some the in Philippines, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, aircraft carriers, drones, satellites ...

What a media we have? What a military? One is only good for celebrity scandals and the other for defending us against helpless boat people.

We are collectively living within some cheap motivational book, where by sheer force of make believe, we can focus on a happy narrative and all the unhappy things will just not exist. Until of course you are on the next flight MH370, the next WTC, the next refugee boat, the next country who's resources are coveted - oooops that is a bit too close to home.
Posted by YEBIGA, Sunday, 30 March 2014 10:17:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy