The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Moral values and religious doctrines > Comments

Moral values and religious doctrines : Comments

By Max Atkinson, published 28/3/2014

How does this debate and the ordinary, everyday values it draws on, relate to arguments which appeal to religious authority?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 31
  11. 32
  12. 33
  13. All
Protesting the rights of animals to be treated about as well as we would treat a brother or sister becomes something of a futile argument when it is realised that science reveals there to be no clear biological demarcation between plant and animal life.

Yes, everyone can differentiate between a carrot and a cow. But, should we extend our filial concerns to earthworms, termites, arachnids and the myriad of harmful and harmless human parasites?

Humankind survived and prospered by killing and eating other animals. Even today, humans have themselves been the source of food for predators. Why then do some of us need to self-flagellate and excoriate others for following our natural proclivities? Some of us are inclined I think to see themselves as above the other animals and thus above nature itself sometimes. Such presumption is complacent and self-indulgent waffle. We are subject to the laws of nature and can never be in reality outside nature. I don't see anything in eating animal flesh that I should feel sorry about or apologise for.
Posted by Extropian1, Sunday, 30 March 2014 6:20:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear david f.,

Allow me to suggest that the Trinitarian doctrine of Christian monotheism should, perhaps, be best understood as an unsolved mathematical problem.

Knowing George, he has probably been secretly working on it himself most of his life but has not yet managed to solve it.

If you want my personal opinion, if George can’t do it, nobody can. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Sunday, 30 March 2014 8:06:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear dvid f,

I think it is not about what you or I like something to be called. Of course, you can use your own terminology, except that it helps our communication if we can agree on the meaning of terms we use.

I was referring to Wikipedia, as an authority on accepted terminology on all sorts of things. Another online source is https://www.boundless.com/sociology/definition/monotheistic-traditions/. And many others.

[Of course, there are many arguments against the trinitarian model of God believed in not only by Christians. They appear in discussion/dialogues between Christian and other theologians. However if I do not believe in something, I should not care about how it can/should or cannot/should not be modelled.]
Posted by George, Sunday, 30 March 2014 8:17:07 AM
Dear George,

There are Christians who reject the Trinity. An example of that is the Jehovah's Witnesses. Those Christians are monotheists. Christians who accept the Trinity are not monotheists. The God I don't believe in is one and indivisible. It is not just my terminology or idiosyncrasy.

Why should it bother you that I am unwilling to accept a 3-in-1 God as monotheistic? It doesn't affect your belief. We are arguing about an imaginary entity anyway.
Posted by david f, Sunday, 30 March 2014 8:37:13 AM
dear/davids/quoTE..<<.You are free to consider Christianity a monotheistic religion. I am free not to consider Christianity a monotheistic religion. However, one considers Christianity does not make it better or worse.>>

GREAT WORDS
EXCEPT..i feel Christianity alone..STANDS..ABOVE MONO-THEIST

AS I hope to clarify/using your words..

<<I do not understand..how one God.can be in three parts...>>

ME TOO..for a lonG TIME..the sanity..of
father son and mother/seemed more reasonable

BUT IN THE END..ONCE YOU SEE IT..AS IT Really is
it explains itself..[the confusion/being\the mono/god\BEING]
MEANING../ALL BEING\..BEING BY..THE HOLY SPIRIT..being aS ONE-being

LETS RECALL..WHAT jesus said..[that ye see me do/..ye shall do greater...[GREATER THAN 'GOD'..FOR SO MANY THINK OF HIM]..AND ITS NOT FOR US TO JUDGE/BUT YES

YE SHALL BE GREATER..THAN Jesus[the'other'..son/of\god]

jesus a sun..of the father..is a son of god
as we all are/..gods have SONS/DAUGHTERS THAT THUS MUST BE GOD/GODS ..'LIKENESS'..[IE LIVING].TOO

DOGS BRED Dogs/cats breed cats/../GODS BREED GODS
And yet the HOLY SPIRIT..[THE THIRD LEG OF THE TRINITY..[THAt makes clear the un*sepperated-ness of jesus/god and the living [HOLY]spirit [LIFE'S/holy SPIRITUAL/being..wholly sustaining every life its VERY BEING/living being

where 'THE HOLY SPIRIT IS..THERE IS LIFE IS

jesus lives/thus HOLY SPIRIT LIVES..
[GOD Lives thus the holy spirit sustaining his living 'lives'

SEE ME SEE [LIVING]..REVEALS..That MY FATHER/lives..both OUR LIVING ARE SUSTAINED..BY THE HOLY SPIRIT...[WHO BY BEING WHOLLY SPIRIT..CANT BE SEEN WITH HUMAN EYES]..yet all seeing requires/life...[indeed all being]

THERE ARE INFINITE GODS....INDEED..Our father [sun]..SUSTAINS US OIUR EVEry life..by his light/HIS LIGHT..[as in all light is the holy spirits light]..we are one/THUS ITS YOUR LIGHT

BUT ITS Much more easy to explain..if ITS A TWO WAY CONVERSATION
AND TOO MUCH ITS US TALKING nonsense..i had to SEE THE ONENESS..inherent..in the trinity/BY SEEING THE ONENESS OF CHRIST/WITH GOD AND THE HOLY SPIRIT

3..but of one will..to serve our will

<<>.Christianity is free to call itself anything it likes. To me it is not a monotheistic religion.>>

CLEARLY IT ISNT..[SEE HOW 'THE Invisible good is manifested by the viable good [the sun]..and his begotten son/CHRIST/YOU..BY THE HOLY SPIRIT..SUSTAINING US ALl our living..

continues
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 30 March 2014 8:53:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
RIGHT THERE IS 3 goods..
plus the infinite other goods..[GODS]

MONO-..of aGOD IS REDll we can be and inDEED ARE

damm editing

RIGHT THERE IS 3 goods..plus the infinite other goods..[GODS]

MONO-GOD IS REDUCTIONISM..But of truth the earth and ITS BIOSPHERE ARE ONE..[With the life giving holy one..too]

and our father*[sun]..birthed the earth/
so the scIENCE REVEALS..[EARTH THE EJECULATE..BIRTHER FROM OUR FATHER Sun

-his son-LIGHT SUSTAINS LIFE/LIVING..
just as god is the sun..the son of the sun and the holY SPIRIT ARE Made one

be one..WITH US

<<I don't see any particular..virtue
in being a monotheistic religion.>>

WE DONT either/but see..its Kismet

<<If one is going to invent a god..>>

how much better..if you can tell him..
he realy is a son of good..too

<<..it can be in as many pieces as one likes. Christians may refer to the mystery of the Trinity. It is a mystery to me why it wants to be considered monotheistic without having a God in one piece.>>

i think peace is spelled wrong
GOD IS ONE..IN YOU..ONCE YOU SEE YOU
ARE THE WHOLLY UNHOLY 3RD leg..of TRINITY Denying thyself

anyhow id rather be taking about how gOD MADE ADAM
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=16065&page=0#280906
http://www.macroevolution.net/hybrid-hypothesis-section-3.html
denying WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN..JUST BY being a living being...

Whatever association of dueling DUALIST-ISMS..OR Trinities WE ARE
BE AT ONE WITH ALL of it..we are of one bio-logical cellular earthen sphere..in fact little more than a CLAY BUBBLE..Of light and life..[THE TRINITY tribunal]..

TO JUDGE THE UNHOLY ANGELS THAT CREATED THESE Materialistic Sub-diversions..of matters of matter]..[as the antimatter of the matter of the PATTER..OF THE PAPA..our most wholy triune spirit Incarnate.

FROM THE wikseed/wikigeld EXCHEQUER..sun-treaty.[johan9]
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 30 March 2014 9:07:45 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 31
  11. 32
  12. 33