The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Welfare for the states > Comments

Welfare for the states : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 24/3/2014

That means each Tasmanian, rich or poor, gets nearly $8,000 per year from the people of WA and NSW while Northern Territorians get more than $16,000.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Well David, that is a very interesting take on things. But I would have thought that tax re-distribution should be all about what sort of country you want to live in. Spending all the tax where it is earned will impoverish the rest of the country and reduce their capacity to become wealthier and pay more tax. So the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. What a great idea. Then you could have a revolution that usually happens when you entrench such inequality.

David, I have this idea for you. What about if all the tax collected were to be spent on Sydney? That would encourage the whole population of Australia to move to Sydney and there would be no reason then to worry about whether one region of Australia gets a fair deal over another.

So what is that David, you don’t think much of my idea? Well, in all seriousness, it is no worse than your idea.
Posted by Agronomist, Monday, 24 March 2014 4:09:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Agronomist, if we did encourage people from the rest of Oz to move to Sydney, we might be able to find someone who spoke English in Parramatta, when asking for directions. That would at least improve Sydney.

On the other hand, have you ever been to the coal mining areas of Queensland, the main area keeping Queensland's nose above water. They have had a quarter of sweet stuff all spent back in their districts.

If even 10% of the money spent on Gold Coast roads, earned mostly by coal, were to be spent roads in the coal fields, the people would not know themselves.

As for Tasmania, we should offer it to new Zealand. They may just be silly enough to take it off our hands.

On the other hand, perhaps we should make them live on what they actually produce. They would damn soon be harvesting those trees. I for one am sick & tired of paying for their green stupidity.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 24 March 2014 8:32:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy