The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Drought assistance does not equate to propping up 'unviable' farming businesses > Comments

Drought assistance does not equate to propping up 'unviable' farming businesses : Comments

By Rebecca McNicholl, published 10/3/2014

By Australian standards, those seeking drought-assistance operate relatively productive enterprises.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Hi Spindoc,

Thank you for your feedback. Allow me to comment on your comment:

'I’m afraid you did lose considerable creditability with the comment “unprecedented extreme weather conditions”. That my dear is a political “porkie”. Try to avoid flashing your Green tendencies and you may go far.'.

I can only presume that by using the words 'unprecedented extreme weather conditions', you in turn presume that I attribute the current drought to climate change.

Those words are a direct quote from my brother who is a grazier and is by no means left of centre. My family has endured longer droughts than the current one, however, due to the very hot temperatures experience during the end of 2013, the volume of surface water on our property is at an all time low due to evaporation. Hence his use of the phrase 'unprecedented extreme weather conditions'. I think his choice of words is entirely reasonable given the circumstances he describes.
Posted by Rebecca McNicholl, Monday, 10 March 2014 4:46:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Ant,

Since climate change is caused by the Department of Meteorology and CSIRO, the solution is simple - close those two institutions down and give that money to struggling farmers, if not back to the tax-payer!

Had climate change been real, then we could do practically nothing to mitigate it - we would need to cut down 80% of energy consumption in order to bring it down by just 1 degree Celsius or bring it down to stone-age level if we wanted to reduce 2 degrees. Fortunately we know that it was only invented as a political manoeuvre in order to transfer tax-payer's money to the politicians' comrades. We know that scientist are forced to "find" what the authorities want them to find or else their budgets and wages be gone, and those courageous scientists who do find the opposite anyway, have their names added to "scientific" papers supporting "climate-change" without their knowledge or against their will.

Yes, we need to manage water better - but not for stupid reasons like that!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 10 March 2014 5:07:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu, you expect us to believe that climate scientists of various nationalities are all involved in some huge scam.
There was drought in the Amazon in 2005 and 2010, very hard to believe.
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101029/full/news.2010.571.html

The ice sheet in the Arctic region have been reducing, something observed through satellite photos. There has been a reduction in thickness of the ice sheet as well. Huge amounts of methane have been measured in the field by scientists. Shallow lakes have developed in tundra areas during the appropriate season where lakes previously have not existed helping methane to be released.
In the last months the Arctic region has had record temperatures.
Posted by ant, Monday, 10 March 2014 8:03:30 PM
Dear Ant,

<<Yuyutsu, you expect us to believe that climate scientists of various nationalities are all involved in some huge scam.>>

That's no wonder when the United-Nations are behind - just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtevF4B4RtQ
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 10 March 2014 9:56:23 PM
Ant you studiously avoided ever reading any of the "climategate" emails, didn't you.

This is a common factor in global warming believers. No one who read even a dozen or so of them could possibly believe that global warming is an honestly held theory, let alone true.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 11 March 2014 12:01:49 AM
Yuyutsu, I watched your film clip, I noticed a calender for 2006 towards the end, and there was mention of George Bush which dates the film.
There was no mention about the ocean being a sink for warmth and taking in CO2. No mention about how ocean currents are changing as a result of climatic warming. No mention of acidification in oceans which is a direct consequence of taking in an excess of CO2.
No mention about how the warming sea/ocean waters are disturbing methane hydrates.
Climate change has obviously occurred in the past; when it has warmed in the past CO2 levels have been at around 300 parts per million, we are currently at 400 ppm.
The last time that there was 400+ppm was during the Pliocene period 3.5 - 500 million years ago when earth would have been inhospitable for man.

No mention of deforestation which has an impact on climate change.

Methane hydrates are a very serious green house gas which is voided in the Arctic region and Antarctica at unprecedented levels.

Your clip made lots of accusations but does not really address current knowledge.

Hasbeen the emails you mentioned have been investigated and no criminal intent was found. A bit of an old argument now as much new science has been published since the last IPPC document.

The clip tried to associate the view of climate change with conservationists; its a scientific matter not a political one.

No mention of deforestation which has an impact on climate change.
Posted by ant, Tuesday, 11 March 2014 8:40:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy