The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Al Shabab: a menace to world peace, not only Somalia > Comments

Al Shabab: a menace to world peace, not only Somalia : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 24/2/2014

Al-Shabab will not stop in Mogadishu if they get the upper hand. Their eyes are on Nairobi, Addis Ababa, Djibouti, Kampala, and beyond.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
With 50,000 US troops due to withdraw (retreat?) from Afghanistan this year I'm betting increasing numbers, particularly of the Special Forces type, will find their way to fight the War on Terrorism in Somalia by 2015.

The presence of 100s and sometimes 1,000s of US servicemen and contractors in Camp Lemmier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Lemonnier right next to Somalia may answer that question already.

Also there is a low level drone war against al Shabab in Somalia - see "U.S. drone strike in Somalia kills al-Shabab militant" January 27, 2014 http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-drone-strike-in-somalia-kills-al-shabab-militant-1.2512253 .

Where there are US troops in the region Aussie troops are likely to follow. What are the odds of at least a company of Aussie troops in Somalia, wider Northern Africa and/or Yemen by 2015?

Pete

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 24 February 2014 8:19:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I know that my reaction is the same as many others;
Oh no, not again !

Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast since the 5th century.
Having learnt of some history of the middle east I now can see that
this is the war without end.
It has been ordained by Allah and Mohammad and so their followers must obey.
Now I know why I feel sympathetic with Israel.

Would a nuclear attack on all states that signed the Cairo "Human Rights" treaty
including Mecca end it all ?
Probably not. So what can be done to stop this centuries old military campaign ?
If we cannot find a way to convince the moslems that they must stop
this war then we will just have to find a better way to impoverish
them so they are unable to put resources aside for military action.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 25 February 2014 11:54:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Bazz

Unfortunately the West is obliged to buy Saudi Arabian oil. Most of the Saudi's believe in extreme Wahhabist Islam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabi_movement - when they're inside the borders of Saudi Arabia at least.

Then much of that oil money is forwarded to radical Muslim groups like Al Shabab.

If the US and its oil companies disregarded the deals with Saudi Arabia and took the trouble to invade that country (the Iraq solution) then there'd be less money for terrorism.

Ah, Alas, the world is not ideal.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 25 February 2014 1:05:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy