The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Indefinite detention causes serious harm > Comments

Indefinite detention causes serious harm : Comments

By Andrew Bartlett, published 20/2/2014

The continuing refusal to allow the Australian Human Rights Commission to have access to the centres on Manus Island and Nauru also doesn't engender confidence about the level of transparency.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All
Why make a hazardous boat journey when it is possible to walk, at times and at others to swim, to India?
is Mise,
Because India is not the agenda, Australia is.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 23 February 2014 8:29:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,

That's it in the outer covering of the nutritious kernel of a nut!!
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 23 February 2014 9:18:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew, as a member of the Refugee Action Committee in Darwin some years ago, helping where I could. Then a few years later just for giggles I thought as a Caring Understanding Northern Territorian that I should go out on patrol with my mates, you know to find these poor frightened, dislocated refuge seekers and just 'surveil' them from a distance.

And to my great surprise I have found very few to be genuine. Yes they do dump their bona fides overboard, ( passports/ID's & anything that can assist in establishing their origins). Which led me to conclusions based on factual evidence. So you might understand the concept of 'first hand - at the scene' type evidence as opposed to the hearsay, censored, government sanctioned, university undergraduate/political party sponsored degree, media flavoured McMurdoch Happy Meals we hear so often?

I don't have a problem with this concept of incarceration of these folk, they have in the majority brought the condition upon themselves. What I do have an issue with is the obscene amounts of taxpayers money currently around $1,000,000 every 5 minutes our government spends in keeping these poor hard done by queue jumpers in their 5 star accommodation.

Yes I also work as a contractor repairing air cons & refrigeration units inside Wickham Point, Astor, Darwin Airport and Coonawarra Detention Centres, so I see the damage and sabotage done by these thankful and grateful people for being rescued from their sinking hulks. The sheer volume of government agency people inside these centres is mind numbing...DIAC, medico's ...everyone but the Pope (sorry Imam's) in attendance, their every whim - including condoms to carry out their perverse belief that women are for procreation and boys are for pleasure rituals ad nauseum

The sooner the truth which still floats around somewhere off Ashmore Reef - (having gone overboard many years ago under Fuhrer Howard) gets to the electorate, then sooner these Irregular Arrivals will be seen for what they are on the main. I pray their salvation is soon, but that will depend on the truth being told by all parties.
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Sunday, 23 February 2014 2:13:58 PM
Just to mirror Albies Post. I thought I'd posted this before.

From a mate last year.

"Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. As you may have heard the camp we have been constructing over the past 8 months has been burned to the ground. The riot and subsequent fire occurred on the evening of Friday the 19th since then we have constructed a temporary camp (tent city) for the detainees that are not banged up in the Nauru jail. The accommodation that was burned was of a very high standard and the dining facilities were second to none. These bastards were being fed better than us worker bees and living accommodation better than the locals

Before I came here I was somewhat sympathetic toward refugees believing some were genuine. After the events of the 19th I am of the opinion that the group of male refugees here on Nauru are nothing more than violent arrogant criminals. The Iranians are no better than the Tamals or any other of the ethnic groups that we have here they are all the same . These people are the scum of the earth and should under no circumstance be permitted to live in Australia.

I have attached a before and after snaps of the accommodation buildings only, the rest of the damage is out of the shot."

The Accommodation DID look like a 4 Star Resort. Sorry we can't attach photos.

? Ever spend any time in the Townsville Area in the 70 to 90's Albie.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 23 February 2014 2:32:54 PM
No YEBIGA, it doesn't help. Are you seriously saying recent actions by the US in Iraq and Afghanistan are the cause let alone a justification for Islamic hostility towards the West?

The antipathy of Islam towards the West is both historical in nature and INHERENT. Islam is a fundamentalist social and political and legal structure which does not permit the separation of church and state; in Islam the church is the state. For that reason there can never be a democracy where islam holds sway. Where democracy is introduced islam aggressively responds.

Islam aggressively forces itself on every other society especially secular ones.

Blowback is ridiculous; it only has credence and currency amongst third rate leftist commentators like Pilger. Chalmers Johnson's theory about US hegemony is junk because you cannot impose democracy; all you can do is oppose those who oppose democracy.

Islam's hostility towards the West is not based on a reaction to Western oppression; it is a Clash of Civilisations but more pertinently a clash of fundamental values.

The difference is your opposition and criticism towards the West is tolerated by the Western system; there is no reciprocity from islam nor can there be without islam losing what defines it. In other words you are hypocritical in siding with islam.
Posted by cohenite, Sunday, 23 February 2014 9:27:29 PM
Really,
Well, the UN refugee Agency UNHCR has condemn both the Nauru and PNG detention Centres as inhumane, oppressive conditions, cramped, putrid...

The same agency has stated that the continuing detention of refugees in these condition is and will cause long term mental health issues.

In other words, Australia is running concentration camps and torture camps.

When there are 3.5 Million refugees according to the Red Cross and UNHCR from Iraq and Afghanistan alone there is no good reason to doubt the veracity of their claims.

Rather, one has cause to seriously question the mental stability of large portions of the australian public who have obviously become pathologically paranoid. Indeed, there is strong evidence of a mental health epidemic across Australia. Anti-Depressant prescriptions are being consumed by nearly half the population. Incidents of bi-polar disorder, Attention Deficit disorder, sleeping disorders, drug and alcohol abuse and domestic violence are all on a steep trajectory.

I myself have noticed on this forum, an increasing incapacity to sustain any coherent rational thought. There are posters convinced we are still fighting in Vietnam! More seriously, others are having full on psychotic episodes where dilapidated sheds and cages are to them tropical club med settings
Posted by YEBIGA, Sunday, 23 February 2014 9:55:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy