The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abbott on notice > Comments

Abbott on notice : Comments

By Graham Young, published 20/1/2014

Speaking through the latest polls electors have put Tony Abbott on notice: 'Smarten-up your act son, or you're out of the house in two year's time.'

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Sorry Graham, you've got this one wrong. Sure your poll may be telling you we are a little disappointed that Tony is going so carefully, but you didn't ask if we want another idiot Whitlam/Rudd like fool, rushing in with no thought or plan. We know we can't afford another one who gets everything wrong.

Sure we would like some things going faster. Sure we would like to have seen the NDIS & Gonski given the boot, but that is not what was promised.

Try asking next time will Abbotts caution lead to anyone voting for Labor/Green, & you will get a resounding NO.

In fact, if they were honest, the careful Abbott should be bringing praise from the left, for his perhaps overly kind approach, but we know this will never happen. A green/lefty admit they were wrong, cone on.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 21 January 2014 1:48:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I used to teach kids how to sail. The biggest problem initially was getting them to look over the bow and not into the bottom of the boat or over the stern. Maybe the most threatening nimbus hanging over Australian political life, 'progressive pat', is the failure to have a global perspective. It's not that our pollies and and population seem to misunderstand global shifts: they just don't seem to understand them at all.

We can look forward to even more insular, tunnel visioned and just plain dumb initiatives, exemplified by the 'big issues' of every morning's news, that play into the hands of virtually everyone else.
Posted by Nova986, Tuesday, 21 January 2014 1:53:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Nova986,

It’s admirable that you used to teach kids to sail and that by looking at the bow (the only way to sail), you could draw their attention to the bigger picture.

I’m not sure it’s true that our “population seem to misunderstand global shifts”. I think both the politicians and the population do understand global shifts, at least to the extent that they affect Australia.

I disagree that what you present as “misunderstandings” correlates at all with insular, tunnel visioned or dumb initiatives, not that you mention just what those dumb initiatives might be? Are you going to enlighten us by telling us what your agenda is?

Progressives constantly bombard us with the “global issues” that stimulate only them. The rest of the population are much smarter and focus upon only those “global shifts” that actually impact upon Australians. That way we don’t burn emotional energy on issues that do not “touch” Australians. The progressives on the other hand cover those issues that do not touch the majority, only the over sensitive, emotional, left wing progressives, just like “progressive pat”.

So when you respond on this thread relating to the focused polling about Tony Abbott, can you explain where your post fits into the context and relevance of this thread, how it responds to anything, what you meant by posting it, what you mean by “global shifts”, what you mean by “big issues”, what the “dumb initiatives” are and what is meant by “playing into the hands of virtually everyone else”?
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 21 January 2014 4:04:59 PM
Graham,
I think you are a bit too early with your criticism.

I expect the government has been doing a lot of homework into the mess left by Labor and I further expect the next year or so will se some severe belt tightening. It is most unfair to expect immediate fixes if we want a responsible government.

Have another look in a couple of years.

we should be applauding the reduction in the number of illegal entrants right now.
Posted by Banjo, Tuesday, 21 January 2014 7:48:10 PM
Graham,

I agree with Banjo, this is far too soon in the electoral cycle to have any significance for the next general election in 2016.

It is however, very relevant to upcoming State elections, particularly in Tassie and SA. The Squalk-a-tariat is going ballistic because this is their very last opportunity to score points against the LNP.

They know that TA will run up to the next federal election with points on the board and the results of various commissions of inquiry that will leave the ALP/Greens in tatters.

Interestingly, the Squalk-a-tariat has failed to realize that it was their outrageous and poisoned rhetoric that cost them the last election. I think this is great because they will guarantee the same result at the next election.

More Tassie and SA polls please.
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 22 January 2014 8:37:15 AM
Hello spindoc

You've pointed out that Abbott is no longer getting information about climate change from Fairfax and the ABC, and is presumably therefor better informed. Have you not noticed that he also ignores the views of the scientific community (when he thinks it appropriate), or are you unaware of them?

You also tell us that it was the squawkocracy's "outrageous and poisoned rhetoric" that cost them the last election. You obviously haven't heard of the Murdoch media, or its role in the recent election campaign. For one with such forthright views, there do seem to be some serious gaps in your information sources.
Posted by rotsock, Wednesday, 22 January 2014 11:55:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy