The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Justification and excuse > Comments

Justification and excuse : Comments

By Max Atkinson, published 31/12/2013

What ideas prompted the Liberal party's refusal to apologise to the stolen generation and its about face when Howard was replaced by Brendan Nelson?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Well david f, what would you call the lawyers who attempted the twenty cases mentioned in the above Leo Lane post.

Is it moral to try to use false arguments to enrich their clients with tax payer money from a government, when obviously there is not a just argument for any such entitlement.

I would assume this would be cases of no win no fee type litigation, often organized by such lawyers, to get a big buck for themselves. Used car salesmen would never sink so low.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 31 December 2013 4:33:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hasbeen.

If you had read my post you would have read that I acknowledge some lawyers are crooked. However, you condemned the entire profession. That is simply prejudice. I doubt that there is any profession where all are either honest or dishonest. To maintain that is an unjustified generalisation.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 31 December 2013 4:57:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder if Max feels Mr Rudd and Ms Gillard should offer an apology for the 1000 plus drowning due to their 'good ' intentions.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 31 December 2013 6:07:03 PM
Runner, people have to be responsible for their own actions, don't blame any one else including politicians for a 1000 drownings, get on the boat and take the risk, or if you don't get on there is no risk, simple as that.
Posted by Ojnab, Tuesday, 31 December 2013 8:35:59 PM
Hasbeen
A lawyer is bound to put the best case he can from the information given
to him by his client. He may doubt his client but he is not the judge.
The lawyer does not "know", that is for the judge or the jury.

It raises the question of course, what was Rudd's apology all about ?
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 31 December 2013 10:20:00 PM
First to the war.

Australia was called upon by the US for assistance and, given our inability to defend ourselves, should we be attacked, we had, and still have no choice other than to support the US as we need them far more than they need us.

In fact, if we were to be called upon to defend ourselves, we would be likened to taking a stick into a gun fight.

The apology.
The simple fact is that NO ONE owes an apology for ANYTHING they did not do.

I tuely is that simple!

Sure we are sorry for what happened, sure many of us feel somewhat ashamed, by we do not, and can not offer an apology.

This was Howards view, and he was right.

Besides, what do the Maxes of the world think would have happened to those kids had the authorities not intervened. Similar to what is happening stil to this very day, After the apology was given by Rud.

Has it stopped the molestation or rape of children, No!

Has it stopped the blatant disregard for publicly provided housing. No!

Has it stopped the kids waging school, or more so made the parents more responsible when it comes to seeing that their kids get to school to gain an education. No!

It was never more than a political stunt, from a few educated mouth pieces from within the indigenous communities.

I for one am sick and tired of this ongoing waste of tax payer funds, funds that could be put to much more deserving causes, such as fixing our broken education and health services.

One has to remember that to expect help from anyone, means the person/group wanting the help must first want to change. Evidence over the past decades show quite the opposite, despite getting their apology.

We are at a cross roads with our economy and it is simply time to put a stop to all forms of waste, and this ongoing saga is no exception.
Posted by rehctub, Wednesday, 1 January 2014 7:17:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy