The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Life expectancy gap > Comments

Life expectancy gap : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 21/11/2013

Today 3,479 Australian are aged over 100 years. Such people are a rare breed in Australia but rarer still are males who manage to achieve this landmark.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Looks like there may be a winner in the gender wars...

"We seem destined to continue to have a female dominated elderly population."

And will continue to do so until those of us who are genetically Oestrogen-deficient (through no fault of our own!) achieve equality - both of opportunity and outcomes.

Migrants, global warming, the NWO or politicians are probably to blame. Or banks!

I know it is not me, though.
Posted by WmTrevor, Thursday, 21 November 2013 9:45:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is clear why men don't live as long as women.

We marry them and allow ourselves to be subjected to a lifetime of: whinging, insults, putdowns, verbal assaults, being put in the doghouse for long periods, arguments that we can never win, sexual blackmail, humiliation, cold shoulders, frigid silences, no dinners, going home to mother, plate throwing, etc, etc.

Struth, it's a wonder that most men aren't dead by 30!
Posted by David G, Thursday, 21 November 2013 10:11:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David G says, "Struth, it's a wonder that most men aren't dead by 30".

Well on that same theme, I saw quite a number of the inmates of a very well run nursing home a few years back. From that experience I believe it shows the superior mental capacity of most males, that they pop off well before getting to 90.

Perhaps men are more interested in the quality of life, rather than the length.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 21 November 2013 10:23:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
here in the Philippines far fewer folks reach 100 years of age, but those that do are 'rewarded' with P100,000 by the federal govt. (it's currently P41 to the Aussie dollar).

But Australian govts offer no such handout: maybe better palliative care would help, or a better more caring and sharing type of elderly carers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe even the telegram from the Queen had been abolished years ago.
Posted by SHRODE, Thursday, 21 November 2013 12:03:33 PM
A-men David G

The only solution is to reintroduce the sound custom of women bringing dowries to the marriage - like Victorian times.

I'm talking dowries on Indian lines of $500,000+ and a lifetime work contract for aforesaid women.

And it must be noted that the author bears or bares an uncanny resemblance to Dr Alan Statham from the British comedy series The Green Wing. Here he is http://www.comedy.co.uk/images/library/comedies/300/g/green_wing_2.jpg . Coincidence? I think not :)
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 21 November 2013 12:03:34 PM
We must never forget that men must perform, at work and in bed, no wonder we die earlier.
Posted by Ojnab, Thursday, 21 November 2013 8:16:49 PM
<< We marry them and allow ourselves to be subjected to a lifetime of: whinging, insults, putdowns, verbal assaults, being put in the doghouse for long periods, arguments that we can never win, sexual blackmail, humiliation, cold shoulders, frigid silences, no dinners, going home to mother, plate throwing, etc, etc. >>

Oh how true, David G!

I saw the light and got divorced in 1989. Been very happily single ever since.

I’ll live to a hundred for sure!!
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 21 November 2013 9:21:05 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem about men dying younger generally.
Surely that means more women left in the world, which can only be a good thing :)

No, seriously, I believe the current statistics show that married men live longer than single men or widowers, so surely that means women are a good sort to have around?
And when all you guys whinge about women, just remember your mums...
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 21 November 2013 11:00:58 PM
True Suse

But Maggie Thatcher was a women.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 22 November 2013 6:54:01 AM
Also we would probably find that more men are killed or injured in work related accidents.If it were women who were dying younger and copping most of the injuries there would a call for a royal commission
Posted by KarlX, Friday, 22 November 2013 8:05:17 AM
Well Karlx, there is no Royal Commission into why all those younger (and older) women are injured and die as a result of domestic violence either...
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 22 November 2013 12:00:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy