The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > At the intersection > Comments

At the intersection : Comments

By Richard Stanton, published 20/11/2013

Tony Abbott can tinker, or he can go for something really big, beyond the campaign promises.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It would be interesting to see the reaction from some sectors if the Snowy Scheme were introduced today. There would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the "green" groups.

In 1949 we didn't have EISs, EPAs, the watemelon party, etc. If we did it would have taken 25 years to complete the required reports before construction even started.

"The Abbott government could be the very first from the conservative side to shape Australia for a generation or two." He may well do but will have a very rocky, up hill path. The left will fight to have that shape as their own image.
Posted by Sparkyq, Wednesday, 20 November 2013 8:43:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony is many things but he is not a visionary. As well, he is not a statesman or a diplomat or an intellectual.

Tony feels at home in a surf club or at a cycling carnival. He sits in the Prime Minister's chair more by luck than anything else while the man who should be P.M. (Turnbull) sits in the wings.

How many blunders will Tony have to make before he is dethroned by his own party?
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 20 November 2013 9:12:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, to give the man his due, he did consider developing the north.
Some say that is visionary.
What's missing in all of these visions of a northern Nirvana, are the requisite funding mechanisms. The man under the Hat would say, borrow, borrow, borrow!
I say, reform the tax system to end both avoidance, and compliance costs.
It can be done, but it will take a leader with both courage and vision. And without actually increasing the tax burden on the honest tax payer, improve the bottom line by as much as 100 billion per.
Given that's around how much avoidance costs the wider less privileged community!
Tony seems to lack both vision and commitment to genuine egalitarianism/true liberalism, when it counts?
As indeed does the, playing in the same team, tea party.
But then they have an excuse, they possibly don't share as much as a single still functioning brain between them, whereas, the libs have Malcolm!
They just need to start listening to him, rather than applying the political gag?
Tony may not be a statesman, but then he inherited the spying outcomes from the former administration.
Somebody needs to convince Tony that this spying has stopped, so that he can apologize on behalf of a previous administration and reassure Asia, that spying on proven or real friends, is just not part of Australia's policies.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 20 November 2013 10:57:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tony is many things but he is not a visionary. As well, he is not a statesman or a diplomat or an intellectual.
David G,
I suppose Bill Shorten is a statesman & a visionary ? Just like moron Rudd was ? I put it to you that you wouldn't recognise sense & integrity if it fell on you. One positive though, you can only improve in mentality & other basic instincts.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 20 November 2013 7:12:26 PM
Sparkyq,
Just try to imagine for one moment David G, Marylin Shepherd, Poirot et all on the wheel barrows & shovels in a project such as the Snowy Scheme with Kevin Rudd as overseer & Bill Shorten as foreman & Tanya Pliberseck in the canteen. Maxine McKew could write the smoko list. Big Goaf sitting on rock watching it all. Perhaps Monty Python could do a take on them.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 20 November 2013 7:18:53 PM
How about abolishing abortion on demand? This is systemic, organised serial mass murder, and is a shocking crime against humanity and the God who made us all, yet subsidising it with taxpayers' dollars makes everyone complicit in this crime.

How about pushing for adoption for 'unwanted' babies or financial assistance in halfway houses?
Anything but this ghastly 'therapeutic' procedure.
Posted by SHRODE, Thursday, 21 November 2013 12:09:49 PM
Individual, I tried very hard to imagine you with a brain.

I couldn't achieve that so, not wanting to give in, I tried to imagine you with half a brain!

Again I failed. So, I went for it! Imagine Individual without a brain, I said!

Eureka!

P.S. Unfortunately without a brain your head caved in. Don't blame me! Gravity did it!

P.P.S. Please write more comments. It doesn't matter if they are asinine, just as long as you do your best.
Posted by David G, Thursday, 21 November 2013 1:00:52 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pathetic and puerile David G. If you can't stick to the topic just shut up.
Posted by Sparkyq, Thursday, 21 November 2013 3:31:26 PM
David G,
if that's all you can muster then I'm still ahead of you. Now how about that picture of you & Poirot on the wheelbarrow ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 22 November 2013 8:01:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy