The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Blocking Aussie Jihadists is overdue > Comments

Blocking Aussie Jihadists is overdue : Comments

By Joseph Wakim, published 12/11/2013

So what is the incarnation of its 'baddies versus baddies' banner over-arching Syria? Why have we not seen the government launch Operation Foreign Fighters?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Well said LEGO. Here, Here.
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 13 November 2013 6:57:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
as long as they're not deserters or war criminals.
Tony Lavis,
If they're doing it with my tax dollar then they definitely are criminals. They are also deserters because they did run away in the first place to come here, take our money & go back. They're not fighting the problem, they're merely prolonging the suffering.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 13 November 2013 7:47:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Joe,

I would not be surprised if some of these Australian based Muslim men fighting in Syria find themselves the victim of a serious sexual assault at the hands of the very people they are fighting alongside, and if they survive such an experience that on its own or some other form of PTSD might be enough to set them off if they arrive back in Australia.

Since Islam is full of taboos I do not think it is straight forward to explain jihadist's motivations for committing attacks either in Syria or in Australia.

I support your argument to block Australian based Muslims returning from conflict in Syria or somewhere else. In the past Australians have participated in IRA activities as well as the conflict in Bosnia but nothing on this scale and consequently existing laws do not reflect the potential serious consequences of these men returning.

The real question that is not being discussed is how the peaceful practise of Islam is contributing to the war in Syria. I saw Margaret Warner (PBS News hour) earlier this year interview a 30+ year old Syrian widow with 13 kids! Guess who she blamed for the crisis...
Posted by Farquhar, Wednesday, 13 November 2013 9:05:52 AM
related thread
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=6098&page=0
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 13 November 2013 9:43:33 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
from
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=15687&page=0

<<a gaping loop hole..and made
a mockery of our federal laws...>>

rubbish..
but..

<<Those..opposing the Syrian government..did not want their sons to slip down this hole,..as virtually all embraced Australia..to flee from war...Those supporting the Syrian government..also opposed this loop hole..because of their general concern..over foreign mercenaries and..terrorists allied with al Nusra and al Qaeda.

One Arabic language newspaper..declared that Australia's inaction on this loophole..was driven by another policy:..good riddance to bad rubbish.

If the Australians are helping..to topple the Syrian regime, then this..is in line with the Australian partisan policy..and Bob Carr's suggestion of a presidential assassination.

If these Australians.are killed in combat,..then that
*character..never belonged..*in our country,..so either way we win.

When David Hicks was participating in para-military training in Afghanistan in 2001, the US Military Commission charged him with 'providing material support for terrorism' and he was detained in Guantanamo Bay until 2007.

But when other Australians participate in military activities in the plethora of pro and anti-government 'brigades', they return home to a hero's welcome.

The current law is articulated by the Department of Foreign Affairs travel advise: "it is illegal under Australian law for Australian citizens, including dual citizens, to provide any kind of support to any armed group in Syria.

This includes engaging in fighting for either side, funding training or recruiting someone to fight … Australians who commit these offences while overseas may be prosecuted in Australia" with heavy fines and maximum 10 years imprisonment.

So why has there not been a single arrest, prosecution of conviction reported to the Australian public since the alarm bells were sounded?

Too many of these Australians publicly claim to be offering humanitarian aid to the Syrian refugee epidemic, but their Facebook photos show them posing proudly with guns.
Posted by one under god, Wednesday, 13 November 2013 9:55:25 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
UOG, Mate, I try real hard to understand your posts, but I fail each time. Is it your fault or mine. I don't know, really.

I don't care. These people who are fighting on any side in the Syrian conflict should NOT be granted Refugee Status in Australia & any who have left here & gone anywhere to fight MUST have their Citizenship revoked & then kicked out of Australia.
Posted by Jayb, Wednesday, 13 November 2013 11:09:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy