The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our ABC myth makers > Comments

Our ABC myth makers : Comments

By Bill Muehlenberg, published 4/11/2013

All that it does here is push the homosexual agenda and pretend it has offered us some scholarly fact checking.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
I understand that you might be somewhat aggrieved at the tone of their observations, Dan S de Merengue.

>>...guests of the ABC said that I and people who believe what I do are: liars, child abusers, and motivated by fear similar to the Taliban<<

But there's really nothing controversial in what they actually said. Certainly, not sufficient to justify the accusation of bias that you apply to the programme content.

You need to see it in context.

No-one really has much of a problem that you believe in young earth creation, that's entirely your prerogative. But at the same time it is entirely reasonable to object to anyone presenting it to children as factual material.

It is not factual, it is entirely a faith-based issue.

In order to believe it as you do, it is necessary to apply a literal interpretation to the Bible. In order to take the words of the bible literally, it is necessary to accept its religious foundations. In order to accept its religious foundations, you need faith. Ergo, young earth creationism cannot be described as factual.

Therefore it was entirely accurate to describe teaching young-earth creationism as promulgating lies - that is, passing off a faith-based belief as factual. And it is not a particularly controversial to describe the teaching of lies to impressionable minds as a form of abuse. Not the physical sort, of course, but it is a term that does not need any particular justification, or deserve a rebuttal.

And the concern that science will drive out faith is evident - palpable, even - in every six-day creationist. How could you possibly object to that description? And how could you possibly deny that it is the same fear that drives the Taliban to adhere to the most egregious application of their religious beliefs?

No case to answer there either.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 19 November 2013 12:47:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter King. Are you there? I was hoping you might avail yourself of the final word. Are you not going to defend Your ABC?
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Saturday, 23 November 2013 7:03:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy