The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let the people decide on gay 'marriage' > Comments

Let the people decide on gay 'marriage' : Comments

By David van Gend, published 31/10/2013

Changing the definition of marriage, which has lasted from time immemorial, is not an exercise in human rights and equality; it is an exercise in de-authorising the Judaeo-Christian influence in our society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Children in many places of the world are scarred by the traumas of war. They may suffer horrific injuries, see their friends blown up, lose one or both parents, go hungry, be denied schooling etc. It seems odd to worry about the fate of children cared by two people of the same sex who may love them dearly while other children are traumatised by war, go hungry, are exploited sexually, have one or both parents missing etc. The author's worry can be spelled out in five capital letters - PHONY!
Posted by david f, Thursday, 31 October 2013 6:09:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi EmperorJulian

Those who purport to speak in the name of Christianity on this issue do not represent all Christians. There are many Christians – me included – who support gay rights and marriage equality.

I’m an Anglican in the diocese of Perth. At our recent synod, significant majorities of both lay representatives and clergy voted for a motion recognising same-sex civil unions, for the second year running. Unfortunately the Archbishop decided not to accept this, again for a second year, but the sentiment of the majority was clear.

http://qnews.com.au/article/perth-anglican-archbishop-herft-stands-firm-against-his-flock

There is no single Christian view on this issue, and I find it rather offensive when some opponents of marriage equality infer that theirs is the only “Christian” perspective.
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 31 October 2013 6:49:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>Don't shake your head to much as it can be a bit dangerous.<<

I don't. Head-shaking is a physical expression I reserve to express heartfelt despair in my fellow man. In the face of regular garden variety idiocy I become amused, irritated, bemused, sarcastic or bored.

It is only when tormented by wilful ignorance with malice aforethought - like you've exhibited - that I despair so much for my fellow man that I can only shake my head in dismay. Thankfully that isn't too often. Life would get very depressing if I had to constantly cope with the sort of disappointment you've caused me.

>>What's to fear about asking the people?<<

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

But you can't ask them with a referendum anymore than you can have your howitzer. And if the government needs to hold a plebiscite - and they aren't cheap - to gauge public opinion then they aren't a very good government, are they? Governments don't usually cost the taxpayers a smegload - the approximate cost of a plebiscite - to get the public's opinions on policy decisions: they make informed choices and risk the displeasure of the public come polling day. I would be very unimpressed with any government who thought that frivolous expense of a plebiscite was preferable to listening to their voters like they've always been content to in the past.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Friday, 1 November 2013 12:39:35 AM
PM Tony Abbott is the sole reason why Australians wont get to vote in a national referendum on marriage equality. Because Tony Abbott is so worried that gay marriage will be legalised in Australia, he wont let the nation vote in support or against gay marriage. The more that Tony Abbott continues to pretend that gay marriage is not an issue, the bigger an issue gay marriage will become. As a result it will become harder for people to defend traditional heterosexual only marriage, as more than 60 per cent of Australians support same-sex marriage.
Posted by jason84, Friday, 1 November 2013 12:53:52 AM
Here's a summary of the article:

Kevin Rudd came out in support of gay marriage.
Kevin Rudd was an idiot.
Therefore, gay marriage is wrong.

The premises are correct but the conclusion doesn't follow. Even an idiot can be right now and then.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 1 November 2013 6:23:15 AM
let's see what this link will stir up,

http://www.mamamia.com.au/election2013/the-most-vile-use-of-a-child-in-political-advertising-weve-ever-seen/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-most-vile-use-of-a-child-in-political-advertising-weve-ever-seen&utm_source=Taboola&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=Lead+Posts&utm_campaign=Lead
Posted by individual, Friday, 1 November 2013 6:35:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All