The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Indirect inaction insufficient > Comments

Indirect inaction insufficient : Comments

By Andrew Leigh, published 22/10/2013

We are bracing ourselves for a shocking summer. It has been too hot in NSW to even continue property-saving hazard reduction. Climate change is a clear and present danger to the nation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Thanks Raycom

Well said. But the doomsday bunch are stepping up propagation of their propaganda, and this week the 7.30 Report on the ABC has featured two doozies. Monday night the presenter Annabel Crabb gave air space to two pathetic proponents of the disprovable theory of man-made climate change to scare the children and frighten the horses. They also gave oxygen to influence gullible voters into believing we can change the climate (and stop bushfires) by taxing a trace gas in the atmosphere. And last night (Wednesday) we were given the softest interview ever of an old apologist for, and proponent of, the greatest hoax in history, the theory that man can change the climate by taxing or regulating carbon dioxide. Al Gore is a shocker. He created the so-called 'Al's Army' to come over to Australia to influence people into supporting the KRudd campaign to gain power to sign the Kyoto Protocol. The campaign was successful and the first thing KRudd did after gaining power was to sign this commitment to the great hoax. This has cost this country dearly in increased power costs, failed companies, transfer of assets overseas, and hardship for everyday citizens. Yet on the cringe-worthy 7.30 Report last night, he was treated as a hero while with a straight face he said he didn't want to interfere with Australian politics. In The Australian (13 June 2009) at least he was more honest 'I don't want to interfere with Australian affairs - or at least I don't want to be caught doing it'.
Posted by John McRobert, Thursday, 24 October 2013 9:11:40 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andrew said ".... are bracing ourselves for a shocking summer. It has been too hot in NSW to even continue property-saving hazard reduction. Climate change is a clear and present danger to the nation."

Never heard of chain saws, bull-dozers and graders Andrew?
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 24 October 2013 11:58:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"whilst I do believe in "climate change" I am pretty sceptical that it is anything to get to worked up about. "

That's unfortunate. There's a plethora of quality Science to explain the difficulties to be faced in the future. eg Likely 4 degrees global average in 2100 will be 6 - 12 in Sydney for example, much lower rainfall on the East Coast and SW Coast of Aus (thus the current uproar over bushfire climate change link, it will get drier and the winters much shorter and warmer, summers much hotter etc), 50% decrease in the MDB's ability to supply food etc

"Its the words "on record" that I trip over. How far back do the records go?

The Science is based on observation and paleoclimatic record. The Ice core information is temporally (time) accurate but only goes back about 800,000 years. This means accurate readings of the gas from the the cores can be tied to a specific period of time. There is also much older paleoclimatic information going back several hundred million years but not as temporarily accurate ie information harder to tie to a time eg can be off a thousand years either way. Some of this is used to produce the infamous Hockey Stick Chart from Mann etal (the same study that been re-examined several times and still stands)

This is an interesting lecture from Professor Kevin Anderson of the Tyndall Climate Centre that might help. I find his lecture very compelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RInrvSjW90U

As to the AGW pause nonsense in the first post, rather then listen to what some random internet person has to say, lets here what the Climate Scientists have to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=047vmL6Q_4g

The thing here is not to get caught up in what you "believe" but see what the Science, the facts and the guys who study this have to say on the matter.
Posted by Valley Guy, Sunday, 27 October 2013 5:34:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for your response Valley Guy. As you can properly tell I am not very well read on this topic, but it is one that is becoming more and more of interest to me. I will follow your links tomorrow while the kids are at school and I can concentrate properly.
My biggest concern is how to change peoples habits, humans seem to have a pretty bad mob mentality and it is hard to get them to change much...however the past has proven it can be done. It seems to me that the only options that are been presented to reduce emissions and the like are ones that will make someone plenty of money. I would be looking at fuel companies...there have been many inventions over the years to make very efficient vehicles, and yet they seem to disappear. The other thing that concerns me is that fingers seem to point at soft targets, rather then taking on the true problem that would require much more effort.
Posted by Bec_young mum of 2, Sunday, 27 October 2013 9:34:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy