The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'travel rorts' > Comments

'travel rorts' : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 11/10/2013

If I had advice for the Prime Minister, it might be that he point out to his team the dreadful cost to the Labor Party of the Peter Slipper business, the Craig Thomson business, and even the Julia Gillard business.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All
WmTrevor - You are right, my bad.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 11 October 2013 2:25:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig,
"How is it possible for politicians to just simply be paid whatever they claim? How can there not be an authority that approves or denies expense claims??"

I believe there used to be something called The Department of Administrative Affairs but it was closed down by John Howard (after he lost too many Ministers due to similar indiscretions).

I also had some TA experience many years ago and people would be charged (and some even went to prison) for claims later proven to be false.

They should be issued with credit cards with accommodation and meal costs to be proven up to a certain limit and completely remove the tax-free cash component.

"Take the sugar off the table" and watch them resign from politics.

Too many snouts - not enough troughs.
Posted by wobbles, Friday, 11 October 2013 4:38:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Thin article" is putting it mildly. Pissweak would be a more apt description.
Telling how long it took for OLO to put up even this mediocre effort and where are the usual rightards who were so vocal about juliar and slipper and the rest of the labor party just a few short weeks ago. Seems they have gone to ground and "dont want to talk about it" just like their cowardly hero has done recently.

After 3 years of screaming about slipper, thompson, ancient history about Gillards days as a lawyer, all the ranting about "lies", "worst government ever" etc etc ad nauseum, this rorting by rabbott and his fellow lieberals just takes the cake. Hypocrisy knows no bounds for these born to rule scum does it. Going to shock jocks weddings, weddings in India for gina reinhart. Give me a break. Triathlons, fun runs, bike rides, even when he was supposedly "volunteering" in aboriginal communities. The book selling tour, mirrabellas wedding, football matches, test cricket it just goes on and on. Next we will find out he charges us for his "supposed" bushfire fighting activities. And it is not just him they have all been doing it. bishop, brandis, barmy barnaby and who knows who else.

continued
Posted by mikk, Friday, 11 October 2013 6:11:54 PM
continued

This is blatant and deliberate theft from the Australian taxpayer. I understand mistakes happen but once is an accident what is it up to now? 7 or 8? That is theft, premeditated and willful theft and they know it. What happens to centrelink recipients when they do that, even if it is an accident? What happens if you claim a trip to compete in the Port Maquarie triathlon on your tax return? What if you claim research expenses from your employer and hand them a report that could have been written by a 5 year old?

If it was labor i wouldnt be suprised but this lot of shysters have been ripping us off for years all the while screaming about how bad and corrupt the other side is. Well it seems you fooled enough people to get voted in but I doubt they will stay fooled for much longer.

They should all be charged and brought before the courts not just allowed to pay back whatever they feel like and get away with their dishonesty scot free. This whole business stinks to high heaven and if they are capable of this sort of sleaze then what else are they up to? How do we know they dont take bribes, favor their mates, indulge in other corrupt conduct? If they cant be trusted with their expenses how can we trust them to run our country?
Posted by mikk, Friday, 11 October 2013 6:12:13 PM
mikk,

"..... I understand mistakes happen but once is an accident what is it up to now? 7 or 8?....."

Here's a list of Abbott's top 25.

http://imputeation.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/abbotts-age-of-entitlement-tonys-top.html?m=1

(And that's only Abbott)
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 11 October 2013 6:45:14 PM
Gawd...here's another one.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/19291888/wa-liberal-pays-back-expenses/

"WA Federal Liberal MP Steve Irons was forced to repay almost $11,000 in wrongly claimed airfares and car transport fees this year.

Details of the repayments came as Prime Minister Tony Abbott admitted he was forced to repay taxpayer cash he claimed for travel to weddings of two coalition MPs in 2006, including to the nuptials of embattled former speaker Peter Slipper.

Documents obtained by The West Australian under Freedom of Information laws show Mr Irons repaid $10,863 in domestic flights and Cabcharge payments."
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 11 October 2013 6:53:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. All