The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Climate effects will knock on > Comments

Climate effects will knock on : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 1/10/2013

Australia should be paying close attention to the estimated trajectory of likely warming and its impact on both Australia and our Asian neighbours.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All
Luciferase,

I have just reposted on the climate site> Copied here:

An author on a leading Australian social website has suggested I raise the following subject with http://climaterapidresponse.org/
Question:
Has AGW – IPCC science measured and assessed photosynthesis-linked warmth in ocean micro and macro algae proliferated by sewage nutrient and land use nutrient pollution?
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 10 October 2013 7:57:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JF Aus

Nice link giving the breakdown of heat absorption, as explained by Dr Karl http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/10/08/3864474.htm

I haven't tried the your experiment but I'd say the algae laden water (or even ink dyed) might get warmer than clear water in the sun.

IF greater ocean heating resulted I'm not sure why that should debunk the CO2 and AGW hypotheses in relation to surface mean air temperature.

Perhaps your question should be: "Greater and greater waste nutrients from human activity have flowed into waterways and oceans. This results in large algal blooms causing greater heat absorption by the oceans, presumably. Can you please direct me to any accessible research on this as being the hypothetical cause of global warming rather than the CO2 hypothesis?"

Wish you luck.
Posted by Luciferase, Thursday, 10 October 2013 9:41:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Luci,

Dr Karl say’s, “The overwhelming majority of the heat trapped by the extra carbon dioxide in our atmosphere enters the oceans.”
I think the opposite. Being a diver for over 50 years I experience, cold increases the deeper down you go. It’s warmer near the surface.
I think solar warmth captured in ocean algae plant matter and water eventually rises upward and enters the atmosphere.

Dr Karl also say’s, “However, all that the energy is not concentrated on Sydney Harbour, but instead, it's spread out across the surface of the globe.”
So, “…..spread across the surface of the globe”, makes me think.

For about the past 7 years I have been spending 3 on x 3 of x 6 months yearly in the south Pacific islands, where I am seeing ocean water and land cool when under cloud.
This past winter I have been under dense cloud for about 2 months straight.

A great amount of solar warmth does not penetrate dense cloud. Dense cloud does not seem to absorb solar heat like earth and ocean does. Cloud is cold..
I think warmth obstructed by cloud is deflected back up and out into space, but this is not mentioned in Dr Karl’s summary of scientific data numbers.

Cloud and associated reflection on top is always occurring somewhere.
Huge areas of the planet’s ocean become covered with cloud that moves and comes and goes.

I think cloud and algae warmth may account for variability of ocean surface temperature.
I have seen cloud forming from an ocean dead zone inundated with algae causing hypoxia.

Algae is surely linked to cloud and more intense weather events.

Other than personal experiences with algal warmth, especially in the Australian outback, I do not know of any research on algae warmth in oceans.

Subject of warmth in algae is an aside I am dealing with, my focus is cause and solutions to islander malnutrition, other consequences of seafood depletion, and viable environment and socio-economic solutions.

Empirical evidence indicates nutrient pollution proliferated algae is the most significant factor causing fish depletion, not overfishing, not CO2
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 11 October 2013 7:53:51 AM
Interesting theory JF. Haven't seen research on the algae bit, but see this from 2001 http://www.grida.no/publications/other/ipcc_tar/?src=/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/271.ht
Posted by Luciferase, Friday, 11 October 2013 8:56:35 AM
Luci,
That link says the page cannot be found.
I was looking forward to it too.
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 11 October 2013 5:25:45 PM
Worked when I posted it and same here, can't be found for me now too. Perhaps it's temporary.

Here's something: search the word "cloud" using Control + C
http://agwobserver.wordpress.com/anti-agw-papers-debunked/
It has the anti-AGW paper links followed by rebuttal links on many topics.
Posted by Luciferase, Friday, 11 October 2013 6:06:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy