The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sex Party could help Pauline slip into senate > Comments

Sex Party could help Pauline slip into senate : Comments

By John Mikkelsen, published 3/9/2013

When it comes to the senate, preference reciprocity counts for more than principal.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I agree, the current system is an invitaiton to cynical manipulation and does not reflect voters' real preferences. As it suits the major parties as well as the fringe element, though, i doubt we'll see reform any time soon.

Chris C
I like your suggestion - it seems a good compromise allowing those who can't be bothered to work out their own preferences to stick to the party line, while those of us voting below the line don't need to label 60+ boxes and allocate preferences between equally loathed candidates.
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 2:57:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Green and Joyce are right. The present system of preferential voting has been stretched to ridiculous limits and in future it should be changed."

I suspect a lot of Australians would agree. The catch is: what system will take its place. In my view (and that of most European countries) is that a form of proportional representation results in a parliament that actually reflects the voting preferences of the voters.

For some reason the Australian mindset is incapable of seriously addressing this issue.
Posted by James O'Neill, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 3:10:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is intended to illustrate the incongruity of mis-matched shady preference deals, not necessarily to slag Pauline. It was expert political analyst Anthony Green who insisted a vote for the Sex Party should not mean a vote for Pauline Hanson or One Nation. Neither should a vote for Katter or Palmer end up with the Greens or Labor against the political leanings of most of their supporters.
Posted by Mikko, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 5:00:24 PM
Mucking around with Xenophon's preferences would definitely be a bit of a gamble. - I think I'll just make it simple and vote above the line for Pauline.
Posted by plerdsus, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 5:53:36 PM
...40% of posters on this link register support for Pauline Hanson: Hardly a fringe element I would think.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 9:53:42 PM
I can't believe anyone, other than a few racist, mindless, 'deliverance country' folk, would give Pauline Hanson even a second glance.

She had her chance, and no one outside the redneck areas of Queensland (a bit like Katter really) gave her the time of day.

Get over it people...
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 4 September 2013 12:51:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy