The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Binge drinking: why punitive measures alone are not enough > Comments

Binge drinking: why punitive measures alone are not enough : Comments

By Adam Szmerling, published 23/8/2013

Previous and recent attempts to address this difficult problem have often failed to appreciate the multi-layered nature of binge drinking and have instead conceptualised it in an overly simplistic manner.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
why not make a video of how badly affected people get when under the extreme influence of the demon drink, then show it to them ad nauseam.

or get a group of these mindless mongrels together and get them away from the rest of us on some deserted cold island south of Tassie for a year and get them to cooperate surviving together, any selfish mindless actions to be severely punished.

why not get peer pressure to show them as they really are, very gross and uncool.
Posted by SHRODE, Friday, 23 August 2013 1:08:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What right has Govt to impose laws on what we drink or smoke. If they weren't imposing taxes on us under the lie of making our lives better, perhaps we would not need the drugs to etherise Govt oppression.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 23 August 2013 6:58:49 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The 'culture' of alcohol has changed markedly in the past 35 years as has the culture of law and order. Availability has never been easier and the product is inexpensive. The lowering of drinking age to 18, the "ME" generations of youngsters brought up with much less respect for authority and the watering down of police powers and SURPRISE we have a big problem.

For starters - alcohol should be more expensive and harder to buy. We need "Booze Police" in hotels and clubs - not just a random raid once in a while but every weekend at least, making sure that responsible service and age checks are being carried out. Venues should have a lock-out time no later than 2am and closing at 3. Enough of this 5am bullsh1t.

Underage drinkers should be thrown in drunk tanks to sober up. Quit the pussy-footing about because the darlings are "children". Then book them for their behaviour before giving them and Mummy and/or Daddy a good dressing down. I'm tired of all these adolescents with more rights than everyone else and I'll wager, so is most of the adult population. Out of control underage "party animals" - give them tear gas and police dogs.

OK - now that the msg is out, let's talk the psychoanalysis and counselling and therapy for the unfortunate fools for whom the booze is now master.

Unless we as a society can rein in some of the laxity which has enabled a lot of the described behaviour to develop and to some extent not only be tolerated but lauded - there will be no change.
Posted by divine_msn, Friday, 23 August 2013 11:04:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Like many laws, the laws aimed at reducing BD attack the rights of 98% of the population, (decent law abiding citizens) while the 2% they are aimed at simply find ways around them.

I think it's about time good honest folk be allowed to go about their day to day lives, without being restricted by laws aimed at the rat bags of society, many of whom simply don't give a toss.

A prime example is that I, one who has never been a problem drinker, can't even buy a round for my mates, thanks to the laws that restrict the number of drinks one can buy at any one time.

It's a joke!
Posted by rehctub, Saturday, 24 August 2013 2:42:34 AM
...Piss-heads must be banished to the outer darkness of society, along with-cone heads and all such drug-#*%@!, and allow normal society to progress forward, not backwards.
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 24 August 2013 8:00:40 AM
Yep, the old 6 O'clock swill may not have been such a bad thing after all.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 24 August 2013 11:31:30 AM
<<..This case reflects the missing components..of prior government policies..when it comes to addressing binge drinking.>>

but how many sessions ?
must have cost 1000;s of dollars to someone

even if medicare pays for it
]how is what you achieved..better than say AA*..?

<<Most people drink because
it makes them (to some degree)..feel good.>>

no..thats the lie
booze loosens our inhibitions
where we can ALLOW/excuse..lesser behaviors..[i was drunk][forgive me?]..ie its an easy excuse

this sounds true..<<..It helps them..*escape >>
that Jimmy cricket[the conscienceguide]....ie the negative voices.

<<..an unsatisfying marriage
or a critical and overbearing boss...It helps them feel free and spontaneous*..and escape the real world rules, limitations, heartaches and challenges.>>

and that..of itself isnt really that bad
BUT..when..its so easy to justify..like

<<..But it also helps people to cope with parts of their personality they don't..like but feel powerless to manage any differently.>>

thats when it needs be clarified
and fortunately..by science method..

''30 years among the dead ''
http://new-birth.net/booklet/30_years_among_the_dead.PDF

;the quick fix
as simple as static electricity..to free those things
feeding on our insecure thought..that attracted..the vile..
upon our thought lesser vile thoughts

[spirit..induced via worser spirit]
into destructive act..when..spirit..gets trapped

jesus could reject..bad spirit..simply
we need the science..and the doing..to do it..
it is relatively cheap..but worse..is needing doing as a matter of urgency*

http://new-birth.net/booklet/30_years_among_the_dead.PDF

its only a real issue..if its damaging/hurting other

i have learned much
from my smoking addicted ghost/guide..host*
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 24 August 2013 1:10:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The issue isn't alcohol or violence , it is about the punishment not fitting the crime.
You wan't to fight great; your defence forces need like willing souls.
Posted by carnivore, Saturday, 24 August 2013 8:05:44 PM
Not trying to put you out of business, but in terms of this observation -- "A massive and no easy task which therapists have involves getting people to open up and talk, to take an interest in their unconscious. Many drinkers especially do not want to consider why they drink, what their unique reasons are. It's sad that our government does not encourage or fund any such self reflective, preventative methodologies..." -- there is already a free way to do this via Hello Sunday Morning, an online community in which people commit to taking a break from alcohol and blog about the experience. Has generated some brilliant blogs and has given people insights into why they drink and the ability to better control their drinking in the future.
Posted by Karina, Sunday, 25 August 2013 1:54:48 PM
The part that amuses me about these AA meetings, is that alcoholics go off and surround themselves with more alcoholics.

Blind madness in my opinion.

I have an inkaw who is an alcoholic and I said to him, while he was sober, if you can't limit your grog, limit your money. Simply take $50 bucks with you and leave your card behind.

It's a decimate problem, but you don't cure a problem by punishing law abiding citizens, that's just plain wrong, and as one poster says, the punishment must fit the crime.

As an example, you get blind then get daunt for DD.

You usually loose your license and cop a fine, yet, if you get caught with a female mud crab, not only do you cop a fine, but you also risk loosing your boat, all your fishing/crabbing gear, and your car.

Simply bizzar!
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 25 August 2013 6:05:10 PM
We could start with not having parking areas at drinking venues.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 27 August 2013 6:47:52 AM
It's sad that our government does not encourage or fund any such self reflective, preventative methodologies..."
Karina,
A national service would do a lot to change this idiotic culture but the do-gooders are just so vehemently against it yet they do express dismay at the problem of the drinking culture. It's impossible to gauge what they want.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 27 August 2013 7:30:39 AM
<<..A national service would do a lot to change this idiotic culture..>>

yeah..it turned dad into a social drunk
and me into a smoker
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 27 August 2013 8:09:48 AM
yeah..it turned dad into a social drunk
and me into a smoker
under one god,
And how did that come about ? Don't you subscribe to some discipline or what do you think was the main factor. I'd dearly love to know because this is the first time I have heard of such a situation unless of course you're talking military service which is a totally different kettle of fish. I was listening to some bloke on the radio the other day who said that there wasn't a single australian soldier who was forced to go to Vietnam, at no conscripted ones he said. Most soldiers entered the military as a career path & I'd think anyone joining the military would have sufficient sense to think that they might have to go to war. I'm not knocking you by no means but it sure would help to know how a national service can screw someone up.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 27 August 2013 8:51:35 AM
nation..FIGHTING service is too much like hitler youth
if your suggesting taking the kids bush..that wont work either
if they are dry camps..people must learn moderation

..but some of us are addicted..to the things we love
[ie that give us comfort..that suppresses..our fear of not being loved...whatever..ask the author..

some care too much
some care too little

and with a little help..from..my fiend..i get past that next hump
but my true ns/peers..they mostly dissociated/died/committed suicide././ie never collected their old age pension..nor super

too much love of rage..new age..who knows
some care too little..others too much

dont over think it
we know the dosage that quiets the heart
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 27 August 2013 9:03:03 AM
uog,
??
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 27 August 2013 9:15:59 AM
Good to read all the comments and additional points raised. I often recommend AA groups in Melbourne to patients, however many enter treatment with a negative preconceived view towards the twelve step model. Group treatment (whether AA or otherwise) can provide invaluable support in a way in which individual psychotherapy cannot and vice versa. Both work well together. The costs of intensive therapy are high and unfortunately Medicare funding is very limited and favours a 'medical model' over alternatives. In any case the costs (financial and personal) associated with chronic binge drinking are usually quite high. The kind of scrutiny and diligence some binge drinkers put into counting therapy fees rarely enters the equation with regards to purchasing alcohol every day or week. To pay for treatment is one important way of beginning to take responsibility, something a lot of heavy drinkers are masters of avoiding. That said of course there are people who genuinely can't afford treatment too, and our mental health system has a lot to answer in this regard IMHO.
Posted by Adam Szmerling, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 8:20:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy