The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Anyone for tennis? > Comments

Anyone for tennis? : Comments

By Babette Francis, published 20/8/2013

Marriage was often depicted by the political left and feminists as an oppressive patriarchal institution. How has it become so desirable for homosexual couples?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Atman is right. It's all about attacking institutions and social norms.

The Left contradict themselves all the time.
They don't want to make sense, they want to cripple the "system".

Marriage is a prison for heterosexual women, liberating for lesbians.
Support gay rights, also support homophobic Muslims.
Condemn killing mass murderers, support killing innocent babies.
Deny race exists, then support positively discriminating on the basis of the non-existent "race" of "minorities".

Nonsense. Lunacy. Attack, attack, attack.
I gave up trying to "understand" these people long ago.

Yuyutsu, agreed.
Marriage should be a private affair for both the couple and any businesses who perform related services.
However, there'd still be a problem due to anti-discrimination laws.
These must be abolished.

People should be free to support or reject gays or any other "minority".
Dissent should not be a crime.
Posted by Shockadelic, Wednesday, 21 August 2013 2:25:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given that gay couples currently have all the financial benefits of de facto or married couples at law, I question why they also want to re-define marriage. Marriage is a Judeo-Christian idea which finds its institution in the heartland of those two religions, namely, the Bible (Genesis). Why would a gay couple want an institutional name which is sourced in a document that opposes gay practise (again, the Bible).
My gay friends live in de facto relationships and have no intention of marrying; it's "my" thing, they tell me, not "their" thing.
Posted by TAC, Monday, 26 August 2013 5:11:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
TAC "Marriage is a Judeo-Christian idea"

Fraid not.

Marriage has existed in all cultures all over the world, including the pre-Christian European world.

What is universal is its heterosexuality.

There may have been acceptance of certain same-sex "unions" or "bonds", but they did not have the same legal recognition as "marriage".

Even men who shared such "bonds" were still expected to "marry" a woman.

We should tolerate informal "unions" and sexual liberty, but there's no justification for redefining *legal* "marriage", especially as you say, due to de facto recognition becoming the norm anyway.
Posted by Shockadelic, Tuesday, 27 August 2013 5:24:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy