The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Online sexual harassment: conceptualising women’s experiences in the digital age > Comments

Online sexual harassment: conceptualising women’s experiences in the digital age : Comments

By Jessica Megarry, published 12/8/2013

And this is why the issue is one of gender equality rather than trolling, online bullying, or even cyberstalking.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
The unfortunate thing is that most feminists deem all criticism and critique of their views as "sexist" or "bigoted". Of all the different types of people and groups I've conversed with over the years, the feminists are the most abusive and angry; therefore making it near impossible to engage in calm and meaningful dialogue. Any time I've disagreed with their views, I've received the now all too predictable reply of "you're just sexist", or "you're just smug", or "you're just privileged." All this does is make your interlocutor frustrated and pushes him/her toward actual abuse.

In regards to the topic of online abuse, I agree that it is a problem. However, it's not a gendered problem; it is simply a problem. Perhaps you haven't realised, or not wanted to realise, but men also receive abuse online. Therefore, tackle the problem of abuse itself, rather than making it another "it's all men's fault" perspective, and you might have me on board.
Posted by Aristocrat, Monday, 12 August 2013 3:14:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Priorities

<One in 10 young Australian males contemplated suicide last year, a mental wellbeing study has found.

Researcher Jane Burns said the saddening revelation, to be included in a report to be released on Monday, reflected a mental health system that was failing young males. The survey found that nearly 70 of the 700 interviewed thought about taking their own lives and one in five felt ''life is hardly worth living''>

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/young-men-prone-to-suicidal-thoughts-20130721-2qcqg.html#ixzz2bjIbJxP9
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 12 August 2013 3:28:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And the moral of the story is ... a woman's face on a banknote is too threatening for the universal male ego to cope with. If you are a woman and claim otherwise, be prepared to run the full gauntlet of macho retaliation.

Aristocrat

'Of all the different types of people and groups I've conversed with over the years, the feminists are the most abusive and angry.'

How unladylike! And I suppose they told you your thighs were fat, too.

Onthebeach

'One in 10 young Australian males contemplated suicide last year, a mental wellbeing study has found.'

And this is relevant because ...? Oh, that's right. Women must be forever reminded that their issues don't matter. Only men are important.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 12 August 2013 11:55:26 PM
Sheesh, another one looking straight past the obvious. When people want to be hurtful, they try to say things that will be hurtful. Accusing a woman of lacking balls or being a gutless coward who beats women won't do that; telling her she's fat, ugly, a lousy mother, not fit to be married, deserves to be raped or any number of other things that indicate she fails in the things that define a good woman will.

It's simple target selection. Feminists have been doing the same thing to men for years. SCUM manifesto, anyone?

Perhaps the author should consider a less intellectually challenging topic.
Posted by Antiseptic, Tuesday, 13 August 2013 4:36:25 AM
'And the moral of the story is ... a woman's face on a banknote is too threatening for the universal male ego to cope with.'

Just how 'universal' is it really. A bunch of crazy kids wanting to use the most offensive language they can in the safety of anonymity, and who would get just as upset, and react just as violently to their favourite contestant, male or female being chucked out of a reality TV show.

I'm with you antiseptic. It's the same reason feminists like Killarney use belittling tactics, as they think that is what will work. They don't hate men so much, they're angry at the actions of some men, and they chose to use these labels and stereotypes, in a manner similar to the males lashing out on the interwebs.

If you are a man and claim otherwise, be prepared to run the full gauntlet of feminist retaliation.

They're oblivious that in doing so they reinforce and prove the stereotypical angry bitter man-hating feminist, just as these 'trolls' reinforce the preferred feminist stereotype of the misogynist male.

'And this is relevant because ...? Oh, that's right. Women must be forever reminded that their issues don't matter. Only men are important.'

It's not relevant in the slightest I agree. But only a feminist could possibly deny that the reverse of your statement is true, and that is what the poster is bemoaning. The media is absolutely awash with the stories of woe, the burdens that women have to endure, with requisite indignation and outrage, yet problems like the suicide rate of males is only recently getting a bare look in, complete with patronizing media campaigns blaming men for their own problems; in feminist lexicon... 'blaming the victim'.

Of course men just cannot be victims though, and any pretense otherwise is no doubt a function of that deceptive male ego, the one that would dare have it that men are not the expendable gender, and worthy of any more consideration than a chick who refuses to block idiots on twitter.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 13 August 2013 11:24:44 AM
The recent Guardian article "How prevalent is online abuse" has some UK figures for 2010-11, which indicate this is more relevant for young people 16-24, and gives the figures of 6% of women in this age group experiencing online abuse, and 5% of men in the same age group. While there is a possibility (not broached in the Guardian article) that online abuse of women is more aggressive and upsetting, these figures do not appear to support the contention that this is a significantly worse issue for women than for men.
However, I would support reasonable enforcement of civility of discourse online, as abuse does not progress discussion of any topic, and may well have an influence on the suicide statistics mentioned here earlier.
Posted by Johnj, Thursday, 15 August 2013 8:34:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy