The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Leslie Cannold: the woman who makes Assange palatable > Comments

Leslie Cannold: the woman who makes Assange palatable : Comments

By Evelyn Tsitas, published 31/7/2013

An academic, author, and a skillful media player herself (nearly 10,000 twitter followers), Cannold also says a lot of things a lot of people don't like.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Leslie Cannold aggressively promotes abortion right up to full term babies.

She represents a very narrow band of extreme so-called feminism which does not have broad appeal in the community, much less Australian women who are largely grossly turned off by the thought of aborting full term babies.

Leslie Cannold...No thanks.
Posted by DPE1978, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 3:34:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Assange is quite palatable all on his own, this article insults everyone.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 3:47:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've tried to engage with Dr Cannold, but in general have found her to be facile and pretty shallow; great at expressing the currently fashionable topic, not so good at examining hard subjects.

If she gets elected I hope she manages to lift her game.
Posted by Antiseptic, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 4:35:55 PM
I've got a fracking female voice for you: Karen Straughan
'Feminism and the Disposable Male' is a good start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8tToFv-bA

Let's talk seriously for a moment, virtually everyone recognises the feminist pose Tsitas strikes simply serves our plutocrats.

http://blogs.ssrc.org/tif/2010/03/17/orthodox-paradox-an-interview-with-john-milbank/
"In one sense, the freeing of sex from the law has always been implied by Christianity; the 1960s’ “liberation” remains an event within Christian history. At the same time, what one saw here was a kind of democratization and commercialization of “bohemian” morals, which had themselves earlier been newly legitimated and normalized for an elite, as Phillip Blond has pointed out. The problem here is that self-pleasure can become either explicitly or tacitly a goal in itself. When the romantics earlier spoke of the importance of marriage being “free,” that seems to me nearer the mark, as a goal. Human fulfillment lies more in the direction of faithful love and inserting oneself in the continuity of generations. Marriage and the family, for all their corruption and misuse, are at base democratic institutions. Fascism for me comes into the picture because I think (following Adorno, amongst others) that the gradual separation of sex from procreation is regarded naively if we do not realize that this is <b>what the state wants</b>. Covertly, it wants to secure “Malthusian” control over reproduction and to deal with the individual directly, rather than through the mediation of couples. Much of liberal feminism is actually, in practice, on the side of economic and political neoliberalism. It is too rarely noticed that sexual permissiveness has today become a kind of opiate that covertly reconciles people to the loss of other freedoms—both in relation to the state and to the workplace."

This is what our neo-liberal plutocrats say about us amongst themselves: [14min]:

'Plutonomy: The Memo Citigroup Doesn't Want You to See'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ3-OWMa92E

I just can't believe, in 2013, this author is still trying this nonsense on. Leslie Cannold is a disaster, she's lost her window to profit from liberal-state patronage. Things have overtaken these people.
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 4:37:51 PM
Why has every effort by Assange, his lawyers, Wikileaks and the Ecuadorian authorities to have the sex allegations dealt with by the Swedes with guaranteed protection from the Yanks been stonewalled? The Swedes already have form in the rendering of people to the Yank version of "justice".
Posted by EmperorJulian, Wednesday, 31 July 2013 6:53:24 PM
No woman could make Assange 'more palatable' until he has gone though the court case and faced the rape allegations against him first...and found to be innocent.

Surely he can't run for the Senate when he remains under such a political and legal cloud?
And who in their right mind would run with him in his current situation?
What a load of rubbish...
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 1 August 2013 12:40:50 AM
Leslie Cannold is a pro abortion feminist fundie, anyone that dares write about her in such a glowing light has serious ideological predispositions.

From the rare instances Ive seen her on the government broadcaster she cant fathom opposition. Real dialogue always seems to be a messy juvenile dispute. If she gets put infront of a real voting bloc and is held to account for every word she will crumble like apple pie.
Posted by Esther M, Thursday, 1 August 2013 2:00:08 AM
The constant refrain that Assange has committed rape conjures up in the public mind the image of someone forcibly assaulting these two women. What the assertions are though, as I understand it, began as consensual sex with recriminations afterward. In many jurisdictions this would not be rape at all. While sexual assault and brutal rape is occurring in war zones, right now,this fixation on Assanges misdemeanors seems to trivialise these terrible facts. This should be about the big picture of making public the nasty secrets of the powerful which is why I support Wikileaks and by extension, Assange in these activities. Stephenroger1.
Posted by Stevenroger, Saturday, 3 August 2013 6:14:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy