The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An open letter to the citizens of Australia > Comments

An open letter to the citizens of Australia : Comments

By Matt Large, published 2/7/2013

I write this letter sitting on a bed halfway across the world, yet outraged by what can only be described as the farce of a political system currently being played out back home.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I agree Lego that Churchill was well read, but shouldn't you have acknowledged him when you appropriated his put-down
Posted by Candide, Saturday, 6 July 2013 8:12:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not going to concern myself with the details of this letter nor it's supporters or detractors. The letter stands for itself. It will not change the minds of anybody that feels driven or qualified to comment here.

My beef now lies solely with Lego, who speaks of banishment from ones country, of covens and of people losing credit in his eyes, (like that matters you arrogant sod), when referring to anybody that doesn't share his point of view. How very Stalinesque of you. The Great Purge springs to mind, and surely you're not advocating that? No surely not. In fact, I'm not entirely sure what you stand for apart from people being in total agreement with you. You're the classic example of someone who's argument is lost and will only ever be seen as spewing out the jargon of an indoctrinated, dogmatic rhetoric. Jargon and fancy phrases don't equal an intelligent argument just as shouting the loudest doesn't make one right. 'Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken', to coin a phrase.

So you see Lego, you little ray of sunshine, you're are in fact part of the disease not the cure. The scary thing is, you don't even know it. And if indeed you discover your mindset was in fact the minority, will you be departing Australian shores to live out your days in exile as you have suggested of others?

P.S. I assume Lego, that there is somewhere where i can read something original from you and your efforts to create a better society? Or do you exist purely by commenting on other peoples efforts?
Posted by jellyman, Sunday, 7 July 2013 12:00:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Greetings, Mr Jellyman.

I can not attack your logic on this topic, because in the two posts you have written so far, all you have done is to agree with everything that Matt Large has written, and then make personnel attacks on his detractors. Your first post was so generalised, rambling and incoherent, that I did not even bother to respond to it.

Your entire supporting argument, is that people who agree with Matt are open minded people who think objectively, while people who disagree with Matt are closed minded dills who think subjectively. Gee, Mr Jellyman. I think the same way, but the other way around. But unlike yourself, I am prepared to support my premise.

My argument is, that people who think like you do, have been culturally conditioned by their peers to think that tertiary educated people must always exhibit anti establishment sentiments as a defining characteristic of their supposedly elevated caste. Their sentiments are not based upon personnel conviction obtained by critical analysis, they are adopted in the course of believing that "intelligent" and "sophisticated" people think this way.

I base my conclusion on three factors. First, I used to be a young trendy lefty myself who matured intellectually and grew out of it. Second, the "arguments" of the trendies are primarily regurgitated slogans which they have never thought about. Could I submit as evidence the fact that their opponents on OLO routinely submit 250-350 word articles on any topic, while your supporters routinely resort to asking loaded Dorothy Dixer questions, mixed with sneery one liners. Whenever they write anything, their pathetic attempts resemble your own incoherent efforts. Conclusion? They have never really thought about what they espouse Their attitudes are blind belief.

Finally, their arguments are easy to counter. Many of them begin their posting like Matt Large, full of self righteous indignation and sneering contempt for their opponents. Then post by post, their attitudes change as their opponents get the better of them. They go through arrogance, to anger, to meekness, and finally some grudging respect.

I am confident you will conform to type.
Posted by LEGO, Sunday, 7 July 2013 6:53:19 AM
Spot-on, Lego.

Great post.
Posted by SPQR, Sunday, 7 July 2013 1:34:53 PM
Dear Jellyman,

"A good head and a good heart are always a
formidable combination.
But when you add to that a literate tongue
or pen - then you have something very special."
(Nelson Mandela).

Keep on doing what you're doing - because it's
working.
Posted by Lexi, Sunday, 7 July 2013 4:25:28 PM
You are pretty good yourself, SPQR. I enjoy reading your posts.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 8 July 2013 5:56:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy