The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Women voters deserve more than the 'A' word > Comments

Women voters deserve more than the 'A' word : Comments

By Mary Broadsmith, published 14/6/2013

The Prime Minister's Office seems to be under the impression that voting women can be wooed by references to 'men in blue ties' and the magic 'A' word.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
I'm sorry but Ms Gillard was right. Most women don't want to head down the path that America is, with reproductive rights being threatened and curtailed by the mainly male ultra conservatives.
Posted by Carz, Friday, 14 June 2013 11:11:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Carz,

Most women don't want Australia to be invaded, but neither the invasion nor the banning of abortion is going to occur under the coalition as Juliar indicated.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 14 June 2013 1:05:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Candide - Would you consistently use the term liar every time you mention John Howard's name?

Most definitely, as you'd know if you'd taken the trouble to check my posts re any politician. My attitude, for what its worth, is that the word 'politics' was derived from the latin 'poli = many' & 'tic(k)s = bloodsucking parasite. I don't give a rats what colour jersey they wear, I consider them all bottom-feeding parasites until / unless they show they are different. As far as I'm concerned the RAbbott is the lowest lifeform that has ever walked planet earth & the red-headed witch a close runner-up.
Posted by praxidice, Friday, 14 June 2013 7:28:40 PM
What Gillard ignores in her impassioned talk about abortion is that it is a matter governed by state governments. Whether Abbott and his deputy (Julie Bishop, who rarely if ever appears in public in a blue tie; what she wears in private is anyone's guess) get in or not, abortion laws will not necessarily change. If it's an issue she's planning to take up, she should probably sharpen her state government-wrangling skills beforehand. She hasn't had much success to date.

The abortion issue aside, I think the article has a fair point. Ms Gillard may well be an intelligent person. She may even be a good leader. If that's the case, she should consider showing us that side of her skill-set before September, rather than crying 'misogyny' whenever she is criticised and bleating about matters that are outside her sphere of control. I don't relish the thought of Tony Abbott as PM, but I think this is one of the few occasions on which the phrase 'better the devil you know' is wrong. I find it very hard to believe that a bit of new blood in Parliament could worsen the state of our federal leadership.
Posted by Otokonoko, Friday, 14 June 2013 8:55:03 PM
I think the article has missed the point, which was one that no less a feminist icon than Eva Cox made and that is that we, as a nation, need good policy and we need to know that our political leaders are thinking about good policy all the time. We, as a nation, men and women, single or married, catholic or protestant or calathumpian or atheist or any other identity we choose to wear or find ourselves draped in need a government and a leader who is concerned about all of us.

For too long we have allowed ourselves to be driven hither and yon by silly, simplistic one-sided, shallow characterisations that are at odds with our basic drives. Women have been told that men are not good, that we are "patriarchs" and want to "control", "oppress", "own", keep all the fun stuff for ourselves, are violent, abusive, unable to be trusted, and so on, etc, ad infinitum.

And that worked for a while, because those terrible men paid lots of taxes that were used to pay women not to be in a relationship and the men who had so oppressed women as to force them to have babies were forced to hand over money directly.

But after all this time women are starting to recognise that having to work ain't a lot of fun and that it doesn't make up for a lack of male work boots under the table, or male farts in bed.

Gillard's desperate attempt to play to the crowd is playing to a rapidly receding set of backs. And about time too.
Posted by Antiseptic, Saturday, 15 June 2013 12:14:13 AM
Regardless of what Gillard hasn't said or done during her time in the too job...the job she won over the holy Abbott, the fact remains that Abbott is on the record as saying he is anti- abortion rights and anti-choice .

I, and many others, are not convinced that Abbott will be able to 'allow' women to continue to have a choice over whether they will be allowed to abort their pregnancy if they want to, or not .

I don't trust him, and neither do many other women...
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 15 June 2013 5:00:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All