The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia in a 'race to the bottom' on human rights > Comments

Australia in a 'race to the bottom' on human rights : Comments

By Howard Glenn, published 5/10/2005

Howard Glenn argues there's a long way to go before we get effective human rights protection in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Howard

Thank you for your article - even though I agree with little of its contents.

Thanks to the posts of Leigh, Maximus, t.u.s. and BOAZ_David.

Wow Rainier, you do assume a lot about other posters. What an arrogant comment. You have made similar assumptions related to other articles. There is no way that I will bow to your deemed superiority. You have no idea what I think or read.

Cheers
Kay

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Wednesday, 5 October 2005 6:09:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Howard Glenn's article is the usual tripe from a social regressive who is mortified by the fact that his peculiar social views are considered potty by the rest of the population.

Even the labor Party has figured out that their own traditional constituents are opposed to multiculturalism. They now realise that working people do not give a hoot for asylum shoppers who will gladly find some excuse to claim refugee status, so that they can sponge off the Aussie taxpayer forever. Ishallah.

Unable to find a skerrik of popular public support for their fave. cause, Glenn and his friends scream "Human rights!"

It was once said that Patriotism was to last refuge of the scoundrel, but Human Rights seems to have overtaken that concept.

To Glenn and his friends.

I have a human right to live amongst my own people. People who I consider my own kith and kin, and who can be relied upon not to stick a bomb under the seat of my train because they want to die for Allah.

I have a human right to expect my country will limit the immigration of unassimilatable immigrant groups, in order to prevent the social cohesion of my community from being ruptured.

I have a human right to expect the people who do immigrate to this country should be able to support themselves without looting the public purse.

I have a human right to expect that the people who immigrate here, and who aspire to be citizens, should behave themselves.

Finally, I have a human right to expect that our government should not have to curtail the treasured civil rights of my community in order to mitigate the ghastly danger from the dangerous groups that we have foolishly allowed to settle here in the name of misplaced humanitarianism.
Posted by redneck, Wednesday, 5 October 2005 6:13:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kalweb,

Yes I admit its a generalization and broad at that. But I can't help be appauled at the sentiments that give proof truth to this generalization here and elsewhere and can I assume that this worries you as much as it does me?

Arrogance?

There is nothing more pathetically arrogant to me than those who denigrate the notion, protection and advancement of human rights whilst standing on a soapbox built by the Labor and suffering of the less privileged.
Posted by Rainier, Wednesday, 5 October 2005 6:42:00 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Howard Glenn - there is a long way to go before we get effective human rights protection in aust. As a 52year old lesbian I have been politically active for my human rights as a gay woman. Despite coming out and campainging in the early 70's I still cant legally marry my partner to gain all the finacial and taxation benefits that would bring, not can I leave my partner my superannuation - or rather I can but it can be fought by blood family. and what about my right to have children ... too late now ... after having been denied access to clinics in the 80's (remember the advent of 'AIDS')due to my status as a 'single' woman, in the 90's I was told by the nurse "I wouldnt waste the straws on you" .... human rights .... hmmm
Posted by llyn, Wednesday, 5 October 2005 6:53:26 PM
Howard, we are about to enter another summer. I haven't seen as many as others. But for all the years I have been alive I can not detect any of my rights disappearing. As a matter of fact legislation over the years has granted me more. I have the right to move about as I wish (though that right doesn't extend to trying to smash my way into federal parliament). I enjoy the right to assemble with friends (though that right doesn't extend to the quaint practice of rolling marbles under the hooves of horses). I enjoy these and many more rights along with my fellow Australians.

Tonight I don't expect the federal police to smash my door down and conduct a house search. Why? I don't think the federal police have any interests in people who play the horses, have a beer and don't carry a Mutiny membership card.

When Mr Howard or Mr Beazley start acting like Robert Mugabe you might have something to complain about. And reference to Malcolm Fraser won't win you many friends. It was Fraser along with others who gave us Mugabe so I s'pose he is an expert on the loss of rigths.

Just which of my rights are under threat?
Posted by Sage, Wednesday, 5 October 2005 8:54:41 PM
The comments posted here vindicate what Howard is saying: That Australia has a very very very very long way to go before getting effective human rights protection.
Posted by Tieran, Wednesday, 5 October 2005 8:58:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy