The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Darth Vader – the good guy who lost > Comments

Darth Vader – the good guy who lost : Comments

By Mark S. Lawson, published 17/5/2013

Vader's reputation, and even his personal appearance may be have been distorted out of all recognition by historians and Hollywood.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Hasbeen

I'll see what I can do about promoting you to king, but my fantasy universe comes first.

Tony Lavis

Um, I think you've somewhat missed the point. I'm well aware of the history as given in the films and I would expect all my audience to be. I'm suggesting the history was rewritten. Bit of fun. Lighten up. All the other posters got it. Look on my site www.vaderisinnocent.com and you'll get what I'm driving at.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Friday, 17 May 2013 5:02:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Star Wars was always mythologically wrong anyway.

First, if the universe has a dark and light side, then they are both valid and part of everything. You can't "choose" a side.

Secondly, the "dark" side of mythology was always the chaotic, anarchic side, not the side of order, control, hierarchy.
If Darth was dark, he'd be a "rebel" not a ruler!

Star Wars, so very, very wrong. Dumb and wrong, but fun.

Tony Lavis, the Nazis may not be fun, but suffer the same misconception.
Their aims weren't "dark" at all, they were all about Purity, Order, Precision, Control, Masculinity.

Exactly the same aims as the Allied "heroes" who bombed Hiroshima and Dresden and starved a million German POWS to death.

The "Light" extreme can be even more dangerous than the Dark.
Posted by Shockadelic, Saturday, 18 May 2013 1:28:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>>Secondly, the "dark" side of mythology was always the chaotic, anarchic side, not the side of order, control, hierarchy.
If Darth was dark, he'd be a "rebel" not a ruler!<<

Have you read 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe'? The dark side in that myth - the White Witch - is all about order, control and hierarchy. She turns her enemies to stone, makes it always winter but never Christmas and calls herself the Queen of Narnia. Personifying - lionifying? - the light side we have Aslan - always portrayed as good, but he's not a tame lion. The tail end of chapter 15 - Deeper Magic from Before the End of Time - and the start of Chapter 16 show Aslan in al his chaotic, anarchic glory.

There's one for you, Curmudgeon. I'd love to see an essay on the unfair hand dealt to Her Imperial Majesty Jadis of Narnia by four punk kids and a talking lion. Maybe a follow-up piece on their subsequent military coup against the Telmarines to install the illegitimate monarch King Caspian X.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Saturday, 18 May 2013 5:19:39 AM
Dark = Order? Light = Chaos?

Sounds like C. S. Lewis is suffering the same affliction as George Lucas.
Posted by Shockadelic, Sunday, 19 May 2013 2:05:06 AM
Mark Lawson here

Shockadelic - now that is interesting. Never thought about the dark and light part before. May cut and paste your comments over to the website www.vaderisinnocent.com , with attribution of course..

Tony Lavis - of course, four punk kids and a talking lion get political. Why didn't I see it before? I may indeed do something along those lines..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Sunday, 19 May 2013 9:41:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy