The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Angelina Jolie: breasts, celebrity and choice > Comments

Angelina Jolie: breasts, celebrity and choice : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 16/5/2013

The sense that she might actually be flesh and blood is simply beside the point – her career choice, as it were, was to mimic life rather than live it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Unless I'm reading this wrong, BRCA1 and BRCA2 are parts of the human genome. This would make them part of the genetic make-up of at least every woman, if not every person, on the planet. And a company in Utah holds the patents on these genes, and on a test for abnormalities within them. As a result of these holdings, the cost of testing for possible cancer inducing abnormalities in these genes is prohibitive for most, or at least for most in the US.
How does that work again?
Don't blame Jolie for having a bank balance, medical insurance and Brad Pitt by her side. Blame the topsy-turvy system that makes such accessories medical necessities.
Having ones breasts removed is traumatic enough in itself. For someone with a global profile to speak out about her decision is commendable. It might be heroic. No part of it would have been easy.
Posted by halduell, Thursday, 16 May 2013 10:07:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Jolie was merely consumable. But the sad reality is that the moment one stands in front of screen and script, one becomes consumable. This is an unpalatable phenomenon, but hard to dispel."

Yes... but Binoy with your article, regardless of the medical condition of her breasts you've made a meal of them.
Posted by WmTrevor, Thursday, 16 May 2013 11:17:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why on earth would some hot shot RMIT lecturer be interested in the Jolie boobs.

It looks to me that perhaps the career & the boobs were drooping a bit, & some publicity was required. It does appear that this is a bit drastic, but who knows how the narcissistic brain of a celebrity works.

A normal person would have the job done privately, with no publicity, & get on with their life. This is definitely not in the need to know category. That this is not the case says more about the ego of the lady, than cancer.

I never could understand just why we had to hear every time the Bay Watch bird had a change of implant size, as this was no more important than what is under the chest of Jolie. I'm sure the silicone will replicate nature, at it's best.

Slow news days are getting worse, when they now get into higher education.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 16 May 2013 11:26:00 AM
I am a cancer survivor and it is something
that I would not wish on anyone else.
I can fully understand Angelina Jolie's
brave decision. It is not an easy one to
make and I trust that she has the full support
of her husband, family, and friends that she
needs during this difficult time. I wish her
well, and long may she continue to live and
prosper. She's a very brave woman - especially
for being willing to share her experience to help
other women.
Posted by Lexi, Thursday, 16 May 2013 11:47:40 AM
'Let us speed to the crunch then'

Are we there yet?
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 16 May 2013 7:58:49 PM
Oh just read your comment Trev. You haven't lost your touch! Your comments shine so bright on OLO, which isn't hard of course
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 16 May 2013 8:06:34 PM
You're too kind, H... I do admire your perspicacity and OLO could do with more of your illuminating insights.
Posted by WmTrevor, Thursday, 16 May 2013 9:03:10 PM
Does that mean Wm Trevor won this toss ?
Posted by individual, Sunday, 19 May 2013 4:27:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy