The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to make it as a female op-ed star > Comments

How to make it as a female op-ed star : Comments

By Sarah Burnside, published 1/5/2013

Women are underrepresented in the mainstream media - and when they write, it's often informed by lived experience

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
i would not worry too much.

There are plenty of opportunities for both genders to write for onlne as you know: OLO, New Matilda and so on.

I sometimes wish i could get published in papers (greater readership), but am thankful a few Austs will read my pieces on OLO with occastional consructive criticism and even praise from a few prominent journalists and academics.

One major newspaper opinion page editor admitted the paper basically only publised people with names, and that i would be given greater consideration now she knew i had a PhD.

Sad thing is that some of the people (men) the paper published i would consider very mediocre. Another woman, who had a fornifghtly gig with a paper, told me years ago how China had the US by the .... while expressing no understanding at all about the interdependence of the international economy. And she also worked for the federal govt.

But hey, that's life, you try your best and what will be, will be. You need luck.

I was lucky to get a break under Paddy McGuiness at Quadtant, and that undoubtedly helped me here at OLO even though i began as a poor opinion piece writer.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 1 May 2013 9:00:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
People such as Phillip Adams and Andrew Bolt whose stock standard positions make for excruciating and boring reading. Many opinion writers write outside their area of expertise and it shows.

I would have thought that if you wanted to make it as an op-ed writer, than a career in journalism (or what passes for journalism now) might be the way to go.

In my opinion, the best opinion writers use levity and brevity but that's just me.

One word of warning and it concerns sending submissions to The Drum. In the last six months new editorial staff have come in an they almost exclusively now use staff and contracted writers. A few new faces appear, blaze across the sky, and then die out. A precondition for writing for The Drum is a bleeding heart and pro AWG. Others need not apply.
Posted by Cheryl, Wednesday, 1 May 2013 10:36:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is that correct Cheryl.

There is a lot of IPA stuff there too.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 1 May 2013 11:03:02 AM
Alas, true Chris Lewis, Chris Berg gets a go but for every Berg there is a Sparrow or Dunlop.
Posted by Cheryl, Wednesday, 1 May 2013 11:08:46 AM
You mean like this one.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4188322.html
Posted by Chris Lewis, Wednesday, 1 May 2013 11:14:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy